X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to think about

Please don't anyone take this wrong but after posting the photos of the shop and the three camouflage kilts earlier this week, the staff – known as The Ladies of Freedom Kilts -- brought up what I think is a valid point. One of them went up on X Marks to see what statements were made about the kilts. She noticed there were several comments about their appearance and it was obvious why I went to work each day, “hint, hint”, etc. But there were no comments made about the quality of their work. I had to step back and think about what she said, and I realized she was right.

The Ladies were hired because they brought a wealth of experience and knowledge about designing, sewing and tailoring. Their creativity and dedication to the high standards of this shop are integral to our success. They would like to be appreciated for that, and not – in this context – for how they look. I posted their photographs, holding the kilts, because I wanted people on X Marks to see where the kilts are made and meet the talented individuals who do the work in this shop.

When I posed the question of putting photos on the on-line forum, the Ladies were initially hesitant. I finally got the three of them to pose for a photo with the newest product of their labors. It was not easy to get them to do this. Yes, each of them are attractive young women and they pay attention to their appearance. But I took the photographs and posted them so they could show you what they had made and how much pride they take in what they produce.

The members of this on-line forum wear kilts, and we have all encountered individuals who immediately assign a stereotype to us. We have many discussions about how to deal with this; how to respond to individuals who confront us with these stereotypes. Some of the comments made about the Ladies, however positive they may seem to the individual making them, also fall within the “physical beauty” stereotype that women deal with. I am simply bringing this to your, and my, attention.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

You are a gentleman. Well said.

Sincerely
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, you can tell the ladies I'm impressed with their skills. I generally keep the beauty responses to myself except under specific conditions since I understand in many cases they aren't appreciate. Yes, they are lovely ladies, but I know that has nothing to do with their work which is why I didn't comment on it as it wasn't connected with the topic. There's a time and place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good

Please tell the hard working gals at your shop that we certainly did notice the workmanship. I know I did. And your post caused me to study your site and product more closely. I like it. Please assure them it's just that we are normal guys and they are nice looking gals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just have to show the ladies all the posted reviews about how fabulous their work is by people who have purchased your kilts, to show them that they are truly appreciated for their skill. I have never been a camo kilt person and the workmanship of a kilt is hard to see in a picture that size. I think the comments made were meant to be complimentary. I have seen your kilts on your website and I am very impressed with the workmanship and attention to detail shown there, so the talent was a given in my mind it was a nice bonus to see their beauty too.

I didn't post but was in agreement with the post. So if in my agreement I caused hurt feelings I am truly sorry.
    Mark Keeney

Martin S
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC
    ... individuals who confront us with these stereotypes. (...) the “physical beauty” stereotype that women deal with.
    Alas, sexism is still rife. The Austalian mufti is not alone in treating women as objects.

Why do so many men seem to want to prove their hetero-preferences by making comments about female physique on every occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC
    I am simply bringing this to your, and my, attention.
    Quite right, too.

Martin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, when I saw the photo my thoughts were along the lines of how remarkable it was that women so young could be so well versed in their craft and so disciplined to be able to turn out such great products. My second thought was that you're very lucky to have been able to find such people to work with you in an age where most people seem to have bad attitudes about their jobs.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Steve.

I hope my comment was not one of the contributing factors, as I simply meant that the entire package (staff, shop, product, etc) looked really well set up. It looks like a good location, and those handsewn kilt hose in the front are what was tempting my eye.

My apologies if my comment was miscontrude as one directed at the ladies of the shop. I see their point and yours.
    Last edited by Colin; 27th October 06 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops

well as i have not seen the work up close, no funds yet....

from the pictures they are Wonderful!

i didnt mean to insult and my remark was overall impressed

you have a nice workshop and looks inviting!

their work stands out, and not only their faces....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A point well made Steve - thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast