X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Edition

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha Edition

I found something new to me, and special to my pallet!

Behold: The Black Grouse Alpha Edition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Grouse Alpha 2014-01-29 001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	16586

Yes, it's a blend.

No, I'm not a snob about it.

Yes, I like it. (Very much!)

Yes, I'll buy another bottle when this one is dead... and at this rate, it may soon pass some others on my rack. int:

Slainte!

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Bill. I am new to Scotch drinking and so over the Christmas season picked up a bottle of Famous Jubilee after reading some favourable reviews; a special blend prepared by the Famous Grouse distillery to mark Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee. I didn't want to blow the bank with some pish-posh single malt only to discover I couldn't stand the stuff. I have been enjoying Famous Jubilee, and look forward to expanding my pallet, but I can see have something just for sipping too. I will remember Alpha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other one that's hard to get (and afford) but which I love, is Aberlour Abunadh. Give that a shot too. (... or have a shot!)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't always drink blended whisky, but when I do, I prefer Dewar's 12. However, on your recommendation, Padre, I will give this Alpha Edition a try. Slainte! int:
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    I don't always drink blended whisky, but when I do, I prefer Dewar's 12. However, on your recommendation, Padre, I will give this Alpha Edition a try. Slainte! int:
    For a clansman, glad to help!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Alpha Edition is not available here. However, I did manage to find The Black Grouse -- Blended Scotch Whisky -- A Marriage Of Fine, Peated Malt Whiskies And The Famous Grouse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2659.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	16622

I have had quite a few wee drams this evening and I must say, this may displace Dewar's 12 as my go to blended whisky. It has a beautiful amber color, smells of burning tires and medicinal alcohol, and tastes like an incredibly smooth peat monster! Wahoo!
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you like it. (Burning tires??) Keep an eye for the "Alpha" edition; I've never seen it before so it may be a limited production, or it may still be hitting the shelves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen the Alpha in our local liquor stores, although the Black Grouse is readily available, and one of my favourite tipples. I'll keep an eye out for it, though. Another very nice blend that I used to buy when I lived in Nova Scotia but have been unable to find elsewhere is Bell's Islander, a lovely, peaty blend containing a high proportion of island malts. Another lovely blend I've been unable to get for some time is Té Bheag (chay vek), an unchillfiltered Gaelic whisky from the Isle of Skye, again containing island malt.

Bell's Islander I used to be able to find occasionally--and only--in the provincial liquor store in the university town of Wolfville, NS. They most often did not have any. Their limited stock would usually be gone within a day or two of appearing on the shelves. One time when I inquired why they did not carry it regularly, the store manager told me it was because no one was buying it. I never did grasp the logic of that reply.

Té Bheag I was able to find only in the provincial specialty liquor store in Halifax. Haven't seen it in Canada outside that province.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Te Bheag is readily available here in Ontario, and there are two (count 'em, 2) bottles on my shelf right now - one open, one awaiting. I love it dearly, but this alpha is a great competitor for honours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Te Bheag is readily available here in Ontario, and there are two (count 'em, 2) bottles on my shelf right now - one open, one awaiting. I love it dearly, but this alpha is a great competitor for honours.
    Thanks for the info, Father Bill. That's nice to know for my next trip to Ontario. I don't recall seeing Té Bheag there last time I was in that province, but that was almost three years ago and a very busy time with a family wedding, so I didn't get to visit much beyond the small town of Tillsonburg. I didn't get to London at all on that trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast