X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebrew ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Homebrew ?

Do we have any home beer brewers, winemakers or other on the forum? I'm thinking about getting into a little homebrewing, But so far I just make a couple varieties of Loki, (which I guess is in the 'other' category!) a popular libation with the renfaire crowd.

Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a homebrewer, do it you wont regret it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. Very rewarding! What's Loki?
    Vin gardu pro la sciuroj!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <sigh> USED to... But since moving to Japan, I haven't been able to. The laws governing homebrewing (and wine making) are SO strict and convoluted here in Japan that it may as well be outright illegal. In fact, if you ask ANYONE, including public officials, they will tell you that it's illegal, even though that's technically false. It's just that no one has the stomach to wade through all the crap bureaucracy and paperwork that governs it, so it's much easier to just issue a blanket "no"...

Back in Canada I used to do it quite often.... Sometimes the results were palatable, and other times, well -- let's just say I did a lot of cooking with beer.

I also used to make wine, and once I made mead. I always enjoyed making custom labels for my products -- that was probably the best part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a proud homebrewer since 1998, all-grain brewing since 2001! It's a great hobby because (wait for it) you get beer when you're done.

I think there are quite a few other past and present homebrewers here as well.
    --rob
    --------
    Here's a bottle and an honest friend!
    What wad ye wish for mair, man?
    —Robert Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to, but am diabetic these days, so don't. If I did, I'd drink it, to my detriment.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been making mead for about ten years now. Won a few awards here and there but it's mostly a hobby for myself. I've got a batch of white grape pear melomel and a batch of double grape-raspberry pyment in the primaries right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't in quite a while. I've got a 95% completed electric brew kettle for full boils I have to finish first, as I've been kicked out of the house for boiling wort...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Heming View Post
    Me too. Very rewarding! What's Loki?
    Loki is sort of a catch-all name for various drinks made by ren-faire folk. They are basically flavor concoctions, usually sweet, added to an alcohol base, a bit like a liqueur.

Everybody has favorite closely guarded recipes. My Apathetic Amber tastes like vanilla and cinnamon. I've tried loki that tasted like all kinds of stuff, even apple pie and gingerbread. If you want to give some a try, here's a basic recipe that's been around since dirt to get started, it tastes like Amaretto;

1/2 gallon of Water
    One 2lb bag of white Sugar
    1/2 cup of Vanilla Extract
    1/2 cup of Almond Extract (get real organic extracts, or it will taste funny)
    750 ml (one fifth) of Everclear

1. Mix Water and Sugar together in a large pot over a medium heat. Ensure
    that all the Sugar melts.
    2. Allow to cool completely.
    3. Add the Extracts and Everclear.
    4. Bottle and store on a dark place for at least a month, three or more preferably. This will produce about a gallon of Loki, so be prepared with enough containers. Don't use plastic bottles!
    5. Drink responsibly.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started homebrewing when I was still in the Army back in 2000. I went pro at a small brewpub in Green Bay, WI in 2006, and now I'm at a much bigger brewery here in Missoula, MT.

Start homebrewing. It's awesome! And if I can give you one piece of advice, the thing that will ruin your beer faster than anything else is poor sanitation. Make sure everything's clean and sanitized. (You'll find sanitation instructions in any good homebrewing book. My favorite is How To Brew by John Palmer.)

Happy brewing and let us know how it goes!

David

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast