X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    By the way, on the subject of Aberlour, be sure to try the Aberlour A'Bunadh. I absolutely love the stuff and have heard no negative comments from those few favoured individuals with whom I've shared a nip.
    It's one that's been in my regular rotation for about 3 years, love it although it's not always at the LCBO when I run out.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    By the way, on the subject of Aberlour, be sure to try the Aberlour A'Bunadh. I absolutely love the stuff and have heard no negative comments from those few favoured individuals with whom I've shared a nip.
    I'd like to try that one. However, it isn't locally available, so if I really liked it, it would be a pain in the rear to get. My favorites list, all relatively inexpensive, in stock at my local state store and oh so delicious (in no particular order):

Aberlour 12, Balvenie Doublewood 12, Dalwhinnie 15, Dalmore 12, Cragganmore 12 and MacAllan 12.

I am not the least bit ashamed of preferring sherry bombs over Islay turpentines.
    Secretary and Ohio Commissioner, [URL="http://www.clanmactavish.org/"]Clan MacTavish USA, Inc.[/URL]

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to David Thorpe For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thorpe View Post
    I am not the least bit ashamed of preferring sherry bombs over Islay turpentines.
    I like them equally depending on my mood, although I have yet to acquire a taste for Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon_Gunn View Post
    I like them equally depending on my mood, although I have yet to acquire a taste for Laphroaig or Lagavulin.
    Laphroaig 10 is my go-to Islay ,but my favorite is Lagavulin. Specifically, Lagavulin 21. Sublime!

There's always some Glenlivet (not an Islay, of course) around for general purpose, as I know not everyone is inclined towards peatier malts... The following have also been known to find their way into the Scotch cabinet:

Balveinie
    Dalwinnie
    Oban
    Ardbegh
    Glenfiddich
    Last edited by flyrod6057; 5th October 13 at 07:53 AM. Reason: not enough coffee yet...
    "Far an taine n abhainn, s ann as m a fuaim."
    Where the stream is shallowest, it is noisiest.

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find ardbeg strong in taste , prefer glenkinchie or cragganmore . Whisky to me is a tipple to be worshipped, not get drunk on . Not got a quaich yet , sure I will have soon . Getting drunk now LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrod6057 View Post
    Laphroaig 10 is my go-to Islay ,but my favorite is Lagavulin. Specifically, Lagavulin 21. Sublime!
    I've heard the older expressions of Laphroaig or Lagavulin are more mellow, although their price is a bit steep here in Ontario I hope to try them one day. I'm always willing to keep an open mind when it comes to whisky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, open mind is good. Open wallet on the other hand . . . .
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38 13' 11"N x 85 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Macallan cask strength. Islays seem too 'medicinal' to my palate. Unfortunately, with alcohol being a luxury item - especially the finer malts, all booze (even inexpensive wine) is out of the budget for the time being. Also, no quaich to pour it into.
    John

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laphroig aghhh not my taste

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Laphroig, Ardbeg and the other Islay smoke monsters now and again but I couldn't drink them all the time.

For those who aren't of a peaty inclination but wouldn't mind broadening their tasting experience and working up towards those, first try Jura Superstition or Bunnahabhain 12. Both lusciously, lightly peated.

In fact, I'm sampling a Superstition with a dribble of Strathmore Spring Water as I write this. Currently on offer for 25 quid at Asda. Worth a punt if you're based in Britain.

Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast