X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Kilt Owner Advice

I apologize if this has been covered in another areaalready, but I was wondering what basic advice you would give to the brand newowner of a kilt to ensure he doesn’t make any mistakes in the care andmaintenance of his new garment.

TurboKittie is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most important things -

Congratulations! Wear it well!

If there are weird threads, often in a bright or noticeable colors on the lower pleaty part of the kilt, these are basting threads to keep the pleats from going wonky. Carefully remove them before wearing you kilt in public.

The pleaty part goes in back.

The rest is all a matter of taste and how one may view the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Follow the directions that should have come from the kilt maker.

2. Unless you have an accident and get something on the kilt, you don't have to do a lot. Avoid the temptation to "clean" your kilt after routine wear. I mostly lay them out (inside out) overnight, and then hang them to air out. It's amazing how many wrinkles simply fall out - disappear.

3. Don't dry clean a kilt. If you feel you have to do so, make sure you find a dry cleaner that knows how to clean and press a kilt. I can't begin to tell you how to find a such a dry cleaner. Hopefully, others on the forum can.

Finally, good luck.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear it with pride and often. Visit the newbie section and search for one kilt worn 10 ways. Both really good places to start. Other then that ask away folks here are pretty easy going and are good at pointing out where to go if they can't answer the question directly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need to leave your kilt for some time, roll it up, put it into a plastic bag, roll some cardboard around it so no one tries to fold it and place it in the freezer, as it will then be safe from wool eating beasties, nesting mice, dogs, cats and the like. Do not trust to cedar or lavender for protection. When you need it again, lift the roll from the freezer, allow it to defrost, remove the cardboard and plastic bag then allow it to air thoroughly for a couple of hours.

There is nothing worse than finding your expensive wool has been ruined by something wishing to bring up its young in style and comfort.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    3. Don't dry clean a kilt. If you feel you have to do so, make sure you find a dry cleaner that knows how to clean and press a kilt. I can't begin to tell you how to find a such a dry cleaner. Hopefully, others on the forum can.
    I tested my dry cleaner with a cheap PV kilt. After it came back OK I let them clean my wool ex-hire Black Isle. They did every time a great job. And I had to pay just 6.50 € for the cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Weeelll - once I was walking along the row of shops near us and passed a young couple, she was wearing a narrow strip of denim for a skirt and a couple of handkerchieves worth of fabric for a blouse and it was losing the fight to stay closed - I was almost out of earshot when he enquired 'why doesn't your skirt move like that?' Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang it inside out to let it air dry if it feels a little damp.
    And stay away from mustard
    Last edited by Tartan Tess; 12th January 13 at 07:15 PM. Reason: annoying little icon removal
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a hand steamer to unwrinkle the pleats as needed.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    If you need to leave your kilt for some time, roll it up, put it into a plastic bag, roll some cardboard around it so no one tries to fold it and place it in the freezer, as it will then be safe from wool eating beasties, nesting mice, dogs, cats and the like. Do not trust to cedar or lavender for protection. When you need it again, lift the roll from the freezer, allow it to defrost, remove the cardboard and plastic bag then allow it to air thoroughly for a couple of hours.

There is nothing worse than finding your expensive wool has been ruined by something wishing to bring up its young in style and comfort.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    Seriously? Freezer? That's a neat trick! Thanks, Anne.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (accidental double post)
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 19th January 13 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Accidental double post
    The Official [BREN]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast