X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand sew a X-Kilt

Making my own kilt is something that sounds realy interesting to me. However, I do not have a sewing machine. Then I am thinking about hand sew a X-Kilt.

Does anyone tryed it already? How hard it can be?

PS: I do not have any experience with sewing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hand sewn parts of the X-Kilts that I've made. I'd say that it can be done, but given that you will be sewing down all the outer and inner edges of the pleats, this is going to be one LOOOOOOOOOOONG project if you hand sew it.

You see, the materials recommended for an X-Kilt are generally not those that hold a pleat well, and in order to maintain the pleats through machine washings, you will need to sew down these edges. I'd recommend, if you value your sanity, that you just find yourself a cheap, used sewing machine.

You don't need anything fancy for this. My machine is 20 years old, and does a fine job.

Be well,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will hand sew 8 yards where I only need to do the aprons at the edges and the waistline, and I have done one where I had to turn up a hem, but the speed and ease of a sewing machine turns a week's work into something done in an afternoon.

If you can find an older type machine which is all mechanical, does a range of useful stitches and a few fancy ones it should not cost much and it should give good service - unless it was owned by someone using it six hours a day, of course when it is highly likely to be worn out.

Normally when things get worn the machine clatters when running, so it is not difficult to tell.

One feature which would be a good thing is an automatic button hole - a thing which you put onto the machine, put the button you want to use into it and the machine then creates a button hole to fit.

It is not essential, but it is useful, just don't pay overmuch for it.

Once set up with your machine you should be amazed at how many things you can achieve with it, turning odds and ends of fabric into useful items.

Of course you might also end up unable to pass a fabric shop and have a 6ft high stack of fabrics - but I can't quite work out if that is a disadvantage or not - you'll never find that a wet weekend is wasted ever again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ebay, my friend...ebay.

you can machine-sew an X-Kilt in 12-15 hours of time. HAND-sewing will take you forty hours, at least, if not more. Also, a lot of stitching 'shows" on an X-Kilt, and a machine produces very, very even, strong stitching. It would take *HOURS* of brutally painstaking labour to reproduce stitching that was as even and as good-looking as a machine will do. You see, in a traditonal kilt, pretty much none of the stitching shows. It's all hidden. Even the very best hand-stitched kilts don't have stitching that's as even as a sewing machine will do. That doesn't matter, because the stitching is still good and it's all hidden.

Not so on an X-Kilt. Those pleat edges are right out there for the world to see.

Ebay is your friend. I bought a sewing machine recently off of ebay for $20, shipping was $20 and it's a very nice little machine with all the basics.

How much is your time, worth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advices

I started looking for a sewing machine... Losing the litle bit of sanity I still have is not on my plans and I already made my schedule for the next semester and I will have almost no free time.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    How much is your time, worth?
    Too much at work, I can't afford myself.
    At home, it's free!
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.