X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My DIY sporrans, thanks to XMarks Forum

As my first post, I'd like to first thank all the many members for their wonderful posts on the forum. I didn't need yet another hobby, but at least it put some of my skills to good use. Troop 7 sporran and X-Mark kilt plans kicked me into high gear.

I participated twice as a Scot years ago in the Ren. Fair in Ventura, Ca. where my father and step-mother met. After completing Wood Badge training many years later, I got a Mac Laren SportKilt and marveled at the freedom it offered, and hence my foray into mono-furcated attire. I have since added an Olive X-Kilt to go with my Scoutting attire, and have made several sporrans to go with different occasions, and will show off here.

First was a Jacobite pattern of brown deer skin and black from an old computer bag. Leather cow lacing made a quickie belt.

Next came a hair-on deer hide semi-formal. The doe I harvested and tanned years ago.

I also wanted a simple day sporran, and this popped out of the shop:

Lastly, and possibly most fun, came a full face raccoon sporran. I made the top removable with an optional tan leather snap-on top flap. This little guy was caught messing up garbage cans in the neighborhood a few years back, and I invited him to stay. Permanently. I made the belt from two dog chains, key rings and scrap leather. I couldn't find a buckle quickly, so built one using a rectangular ring and forged the prong from a second.

Last edited by Mael Coluim; 6th September 12 at 08:20 PM. Reason: OP Request

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very nice work, glad to see different approaches and use of materials.

Western Washington State or s/v Lady Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good work. It looks like you will be covered for a variety of social eventualities. I especially like the racoon. And you can be reminded when you wear it how you helped out the neighborhood.
    Elf

There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing.
    -atr: New Zealand proverb