X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never considered it that way...Worn as a version of a pauldron that is. I would think it would be shifting around a lot though...Something to think about anyway-Thanks!
    A pitchfork is a polearm too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, just recently returned from the Gatherin' at Wakeeney Kansas (met Ozark Ridge Rider there)...I had the opportunity to cross blades (woods) with Chris Thompson (I believe that was how he introduced himeslf)-one of the authors of Highland Knife Fighting with the Dirk and Sgian, and we both used targes-my tester, his slightly smaller/lighter shield. He's fair handy with a broadsword (I have some knocks to my leg to prove it), and fast on his feet-he didn't escape unscathed, however-we were pretty even on whacks. Oh, and did I mention we were fighting by firelight, after a day of, well, quality refreshment? You think swording by day is fun-you ought to try it by torch/firelight after a few beers. Photos will be forthcoming, if the lighting (or lack there of) worked.

New results:
    I am going to reduce things to an even 20" or so. Pad it up, too. Arm straps worked great-didn't catch any real heavy shots, so I am thinking a soft handgrip with some padding behind will work just fine. No rigid grip. If the opposition has an ax, I will just pull pistol and avoid the messyness. I was wearing gauntlets too, which helped keep my knuckles off of the abrasive wood. Took a few of them by suprise when I explained the bullet dents and holes...
    A pitchfork is a polearm too!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234