X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smilies frame

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smilies frame

Once upon a time, when adding smilies to a post, the smilies would come up in a separate pop-up window that could be resized to see all of the smilies available. Now, they come up in a 'pop-up' internal to the XMarks frame at the top and I can no longer see all of them. There is a scroll bar at the bottom of this internal frame, but it doesn't scroll far enough to see the smilies at the right-hand side of the frame ( I can barely see the left edge of some of the animated ones).

When I go Advanced, I can see some of the basic smilies at the right hand side of the edit box, but when I click on the Smiley button above, I get the internal pop-up and can't scroll right. (I can't even click on anything to cancel the smiley add, I have to hit Esc).

I can resize the text in the IE window smaller (75%), which allows me to see the full internal pop-up.

In a possibly related issue, the main forum screen is sometimes (actually quite often) expanded so far off to the right that I can't see the User CP or XMarks Advertisers boxes on the right hand side of the screen, and can't scroll over to see them either. When I enter a subforum, everything is visible.

Running Windows XP SP3, IE 8.0 (not changing that - it's fine for me), with all updates applied.
    John

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you sir. We will take a look at this.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When the smilies windows opens, you should have a resizing spot on the lower right hand corner.

It looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smilies.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	13924

Just grab those angled lines and drag to enlarge the smilies box.

For the screen expanded off to the right, I will have to try it on an XP machine with IE8. Never seen that problem before.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    ... In a possibly related issue, the main forum screen is sometimes (actually quite often) expanded so far off to the right that I can't see the User CP or XMarks Advertisers boxes on the right hand side of the screen, and can't scroll over to see them either. When I enter a subforum, everything is visible. ...
    This happens to me on occasion, after I have "gone advanced" and am attempting to edit a post. It's a nuisance, but I usually muddle through using the horizontal scroll bar to access the rightmost part of the window. It's epidemic in that it seems to come and go. It won't happen at all for a time and then it happens a lot, but eventually disappears. That's about the only way I can describe it. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 with Chrome.
    Last edited by mookien; 6th September 13 at 07:21 PM.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried it on XP IE8 and all was tickadeeboo, can expand the smileys screens just as KWD suggested on both quick reply and advanced reply pages. Cheers
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedCodeWarrior View Post
    When the smilies windows opens, you should have a resizing spot on the lower right hand corner.

It looks like this:

Name:	smilies.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	13924

Just grab those angled lines and drag to enlarge the smilies box.

For the screen expanded off to the right, I will have to try it on an XP machine with IE8. Never seen that problem before.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the resizing gizmo. There's one on the lower right of the Advanced Reply text window. (I used to work in IT - and hope to again someday, but that's a tale for another time).

The trouble is, when IE is at 100% zoom level in either QuickReply or Advanced Reply mode, I can't see the right hand side of the smiley window to grab the gizmo, and I can't scroll the IE window over to the right to get to it. If I reduce the zoom level to 75%, then I can see the full Smiley window. It's popping up internal to the IE frame, not as a separate IE pop-up window as before.

This is what I see:

Name:	xmarks screen grab.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	13942
    Last edited by EagleJCS; 7th September 13 at 12:21 PM.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WinXP, Firefox in Quick Reply mode has the same issue:

Name:	ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 07 12.23.jpg 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	13944

However in Advanced Reply mode it's working as advertised:

Name:	ScreenHunter_04 Sep. 07 12.26.jpg 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	13945
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to play around with the resizing detent (in Chrome, a magnifying-glass icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen) as a possible work-around. I write "work-around", because most of the time it is not necessary. I keep it at 110% of default size for my old, tired eyes. But, I'll play around with it when the problem recurs and see if I can glean anything useful from doing so.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have this issue with both IE and Chrome. If I change the browser zoom level, I can grab the handles, but the resizing is only up and down. You can't make the window narrower by dragging left. I tried it just now in quick and advance mode, same effect.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by California Highlander View Post
    I also have this issue with both IE and Chrome. If I change the browser zoom level, I can grab the handles, but the resizing is only up and down. You can't make the window narrower by dragging left. I tried it just now in quick and advance mode, same effect.
    I notice that XMarks is "Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.8". I just tried the smiley feature on another bulletin board "Powered by vBulletin™ Version 5.0.1" and it works as expected in my Chrome browser. I can resize the smiley window up and down, left and right.

Might it be the vBulletin software? Or possibly the custom XMarks smileys?

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast