X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monterey: a big day

I logged four PR's today. FOUR. Finally had that big day that hopefully will cement all the hard work I've been doing into place.

Open Stone...added four inches!..now at 31' 9", which is not a great number but at least it's respectable.

Heavy Hammer...took it from 65 and change to 70' 11".
    Light Hammer .... took it from 84 and change to 87' 5"

THANKS Mike Pockoski!

Light Weight for Distance....I finally did what the guys on NASGA said when they watched my videos, what JGorley has said, and what my judge said today, and put some torque on the weight through the delivery. Result? ... dropped one in at 51' 0.25"...and to prove that wasn't a fluke, the next one was 50' 8".

YEAH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!

You will recall that I said a few years back that I expected big things from you in the hammers. Nice to see you not making a liar out of me!

The best I could do yesterday at our last practice before the Big Dance in Denver was 68'1" with the heavy hammer. Not that I'm complaining about it! Just need to put up some of those numbers in a comp.

Glad to see you also hitting your stride with the weights, too. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Was there any sheaf tossed at Monterey? I didn't see it mentioned on the announcement but Carlos has been running it for a number of years so I was kinda surprised.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Alan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job old man!!!!! That off season training seems to really have helped you.
    [I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o1d_dude View Post
    Excellent!

You will recall that I said a few years back that I expected big things from you in the hammers. Nice to see you not making a liar out of me!

The best I could do yesterday at our last practice before the Big Dance in Denver was 68'1" with the heavy hammer. Not that I'm complaining about it! Just need to put up some of those numbers in a comp.

Glad to see you also hitting your stride with the weights, too. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Was there any sheaf tossed at Monterey? I didn't see it mentioned on the announcement but Carlos has been running it for a number of years so I was kinda surprised.
    I'm pretty solid with 13 in WOB now, even when I'm running a little low on octane, I get it. On sunday I touched the bar at 14 once, so I have hopes....

Yeah, hammers....always been my best event, but it sure is gratifying to see improvement happen after stagnating last season. The advice from Mike Pockoski is really paying off.

Yeah, we had time for sheaf and did it. Steve and Joe Elliot put on a good show in our class, both clearing 20, but missing at 22. Steve won on account of missing fewer at lower heights. I had the height for 20, maybe even 22, I just popped a hair early (or rotated a little bit too much) and the fork tines weren't straight up and down....tossed the bag just outside the standards. That was annoying, but I really enjoy sheaf. Even Steve Conway is beginning to come around.

68' 1' with the heavy hammer is nothing to sneeze at! I would still be pretty darned happy with that number coming up on the tape.

You guys have a blast in Colorado, and give Kymmie a hug for me. Stay healthy, throw far, party good and scare the crowd!

TimC is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was impressive to watch you work my friend...BTW, I'm glad we're not in the same group!

-Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    It was impressive to watch you work my friend...BTW, I'm glad we're not in the same group!

-Tim
    Carlos would still eat me for lunch and have room for a beer afterwards!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Alan, guid oan ya
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Congratulations Alan!

Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus