X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramping up for Pleasanton

OK, the Big One is coming. I've got goals....here they are.

Braemar: 25+..I've done it before.

Open Stone: 30+ ...this is my single biggest goal for these Games

Heavy Hammer: 63+..my PR is 65 and change

Light Hammer: I want to break 80 (for the first time this season). I've thrown 79+ twice this year. My PR is 83 and change.

HWFD: 29+...I just set a 29-and-change PR at Monterey and I KNOW there's more gas where that came from.

LWFD: 46+. I'm throwing 47's and 48's pretty regularly in practice. I've gotten close to 50 a couple of times. I hit 44+ at Enumclaw. It's time to floor this puppy and let this engine run on all the cylinders..

WOB: I WILL clear 13 feet. I *Own* 13 feet. I have my bleedin' name engraved on those standards, one millimeter above thirteen stinkin' feet.

So what am I doing to get there over the next two weeks?

Last night...about 40 light hammer winds..

Throw practices

Tuesday Aug 18th
    Thursday Aug 20th
    Tuesday Aug 25th
    Thursday Aug 27th
    Tuesday Sept 1st
    Thursday Sept 3rd (very light weights, low reps...I'll mostly coach other folks)

Throw Party (I've invited Adriene Blewitt...google her. Wow)
    Saturday Aug 30th

FOCI:

LOTS and lots of light hammer winds with my knees bent. I wanna look like jgorley! *Exaggerate* the knee bends. No boot blades. I'm not going to work too hard on heavy hammer. Whatever I get, I get in the heavy. I'll throw a bit with a 14 lb hammer to work on speed and do releases.

Stones... Work on steadying my hand, driving straight through the stone and above all... **driving the hip**. I will work on a quick, simple glide so that come Pleasanton I am comfortable enough with it to glide all three tosses. DRIVE with the back leg, drive up and over the trig. I will do LOTS of step-over drills.

WOB... practice, practice practice the tips I got from Bert Sorin and Mike Pockoski... that little hip drop before the pull that makes the whole motion much like a dancers body roll. Work on rhythm.

Caber... toss our big stick. toss it again. toss it again. Take our new intermediate stick which I can turn in my sleep and practice timing with it. Over and over and over.

Weight Training on Mon and Fri, my 90 minute workout

squats...yes, I'm going to put it all on the line and do squats again. I'm doing bench squats (sitting down on a bench and standing up with the weight) Today, 3 sets of 7 with 145 pounds. I know it's not much weight but I have to do something.

pylos... I have GOT to explode. 2 sets 8 jumps on a 36 inch box

dumbell "Good Mornings"...70 pounds, 3 sets of 10

inclined bench sit-ups...15

Roman Chair side-pulls... 2 sets of 8 with 35 pounds, each side

Roman Chair hammer winds... 1 set of 10 with 10 lbs. This exercise is killer

static, on-the-mat situps with an 8 lb medicine ball, side-to-side for lats. 3 sets of 10

push-ups...three sets of ten (OK, the second two sets are girls push-ups, I'm a wuss)

quadriceps extensions...light weights, a bazillion reps to keep the quads and the muscles/tendons around the knee loose.

Inclined dumbell press.... 3 sets of 6 with 55 lbs.

curls, plain old curls....3 sets of 8 with 80 pounds.

sitting flys (on a machine) 2 sets of 8 with 130 pounds.

This is going to be my Monday-Friday routine. I rest on Wednesdays. The next couple of weekends are taken up with little details like my wedding anniversary!
    Last edited by Alan H; 17th August 09 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After busting my hiney in the gym on Monday, last nights throws practice was kind of silly. I had NO gas in my quads...LOL...seems like it takes me more than 24 hours to recover!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    After busting my hiney in the gym on Monday, last nights throws practice was kind of silly. I had NO gas in my quads...LOL...seems like it takes me more than 24 hours to recover!
    Alan,

You are truely a maniac! I got tired just reading your POST!
    [I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last nights practice with Bethany was good. We did a mess of "body-roll" WOB throws. I've been throwing with 37 pounds. I think I'll do one more WOB practice @ 37 pounds and then move to 42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jgXmy_fMA

We did a MESS of stones drills, and video'd them. It's 11:30 overall so I have to edit out a bit and then I'll get it up on youtube.

POP THE BRAT!

Did LWFD, though I was getting tired. I need to not "hop" through the second turn, but rather, DRIVE through the second turn. I'm better than I was two months ago, still have a ways to go.

Tonight after work...hammer winds. I'm doing a minimum of 50 winds before I release the 16'er and throw a dozen times, or so.