X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2014 Central Florida Scottish Highland Games - Jan 18/19

Anyone in? Do it.

http://flascot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be there with at least my daughter - Wife never knows this far out if she will have to work. My son and his family may also show. We all missed last years so have been itching to get back! Have gone many years but this will be my first time kilted. Can't wait!
    .................................................. ........................................ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    My Leatherwork Album
    - Feel free to look and critique - I'm just learning leather and welcome all help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying to Florida in 2 weeks. Planning on being there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of friends from my clan society are going, although my clan won't have a tent there.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local St. Andrew's Society (of Central FL) tent and nearby areas is good place for the orphans with no clans. It's clan row. Send them that way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My wife and kids are going to be out of town, but I may head over for a bit. Any suggestions for a meeting place? I have not been to these Games before.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to the popularity of Disney/Pixar's "Brave" (Scottish character), the games have gotten larger in size (est. 30,000 last year). From past experience (as a spectator, and a clan tent member), I would highly recommend trying to get on site and parked near 10-11am as the traffic will bottleneck early in the day. Traffic and beer selling out were the two large gripes last year. If you are a member of a clan, New World Celts, or a St. Andrew's Society, see if you can possibly link up and be part of the parade of clans. The main parade of the clans is at noon (Sat/Sun) and it's the biggest clan related event of both days. Other than that, come with some cash (ATM fees as always), take in the sights, see the sheep dogs herding livestock, enjoy some Albannach and other comparable bands. Usually nice weather for kilts, too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    30,000? How big is the venue? That large an attendance is likely to keep me away. I prefer smaller games, like Gatlinburg and Dunedin.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one who also likes the smaller games, it's hard to turn my back on Central Florida as it's less than 30 minutes from me and is closer than the others (ie: Jacksonville, Dunedin, S. FL). I was much like you as an attendee, preferring smaller and intimate games. I would recommend that if you do go, maybe try Sunday out instead; but I digress, I won't sugar coat it for you. Physically, it is a large venue so to speak. There are a few fields comparable to the size of a football field that house the activity for games (ie: one for caber toss/athletics, another for kids pavillion, another is the main field, another is a sound stage, etc.). I would say probably around 5+ acres covers the span of the area. The only thing that I personally still don't favor is the long food / beer lines after a certain time of the day. If you get to the games prior to peak time, it's not as bad at all. Less drunks, less crowds to have to cut through, etc.

Throughout the day there is everything for a family - the athletics, dancing, pipers, food, entertainment, a children's games area, etc. There is also a clan village in a wooded area that is a bit slower and a relaxed area.

Since the hours for the games are longer than Dunedin (a one day / shorter event), it allows more room for attendance. The attendance is a large number, but it is spread out over two days. Day 1 is fourteen (14) hours long since there is a Ceilidh / several concerts after sunset. Day 2 is roughly 9-5 and a bit slower.

Hoping some of the CFL / Orlando area guys can weigh in their opinion on the games as we all will likely have varied feedback.

Below is the site for the games. There's a complete run down of everything they have to offer:

http://flascot.com/schedule.php

Aye!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to unclevenus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local St. Andrew's Society (of Central FL) tent and nearby areas is good place for the orphans with no clans. It's clan row. Send them that way.
    Thanks, I will pass this on to my friends.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast