X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose Color with a Dress Tartan and Prince Charlie

I have just ordered a Dress MacPherson Kilt. It will be worn with a Prince Charlie Coatee for an evening wedding. (I am giving the Bride away.) Hers is my question. I have read on this forum that White Hose are totally incorrect. Given the colors of the Dress MacPherson tartan, I was thinking of either Maroon or Black Hose. What are your thoughts about Flashes matching the tartan? I have ordered matching flashes, but I have also read (again on this forum) that matching flashes should not be worn. One last question about footwear: should I order Ghillie Brogues or will any standard black shoe work.

I am sorry to ask so many questions, but I really need to do this correctly. The bride is my step-daughter (I married her mother when she was an adult) and she asked me to give her away. The Scottish wedding was her idea. Any assistance in this matter will be gratefully accepted.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If matching Argyle hose are not an option, then I suggest you wear claret hose. Bar buckle brogues would be better, IMO, but well-polished black leather dress shoes should work fine. I would pass on the Ghillie Brogues. I don't wear tartan flashes, and would probably wear the dark red ones that I wear with all my hose. You might choose yellow or claret.

One question that might help guide our responses- Is your kiltwearing "to humor the stepdaughter" or do you intend to wear the kilt after this event? A nice evening outfit can be pricey (but if done right, you'll never have to buy twice), but if you're meaning just to get through this wedding there are ways to economize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your quick response.

I my wife does not like Argyle hose, and I am a married man. I have looked a buckle brogues, and do not care for them. Are well polished Wing-tips ok? As far a well polished, I am a former US Marine. I know how to polish leather.

If I go with the claret hose, would black flashes look ok? Or would yellow be better.

As far as pleasing my step-daugher, I already wear a kilt on informal occasions, but I have never done so for formal ones. My wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland were we will attend a Gathering of the Clan which includes a black tie highland chieftan's ball. I definately do not want to look line the standard "American Redneck" at either occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black wing-tips polished to Marines specifications would be fine.

IMHO the ban on white hose and tartan flashes seem to be based on not wanting to look like a rent-a-kilt wearer. Many business renting kilts find it easier to let you have any color kilt hose you want as long as they are white. The same for flashes, tartan flashes in the same tartan as the kilt are easy for rental places to supply.

If you read enough of the back threads you will see the hose color and flash style goes back and forth every couple of years. What combination of hose colors and flash style makes you feel you look your best? Or, if you are like me, which combination makes you look your best in the eyes of your wife?

This is clothing and not a uniform, yes there are some standards of dress but these should work within you personal sense of style.

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    This is clothing and not a uniform, yes there are some standards of dress but these should work within you personal sense of style.
    ...and budget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rental aspects of tartan flashes apart, the main thing wrong with them is that they are all too long - far, far too long.

If you can put them on and only have 2" tops (absolute max) showing - no problem. A little splash of colour on dark hose is not a bad thing.

Oxfords or wingtips, will work in practically all occasions. You are probably going to be on your feet a lot that day. Buying a new pair of shoes for the occasion could mean pain.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is the wedding? Have you cpnsidered diced hose?

If not diced, I'd go with claret hose as well. I prefer garter ties, so would wear a set of those in a complimentary color to the kilt for a splash of color. I would avoid black--but because there are so many other colors

If you have tartan flashes...wear those. they are fine. just roll them so less material shows (as previously noted, they are quite long).

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with David that claret (maroon) colored hose would look very nice, and I would suggest either yellow or white (ecru) flashes. Some versions of the MacPherson Dress tartan I have seen are woven with purple in which case purple hose would also be a good choice.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, buying these things for a wedding but planning to wear them in Scotland at a "black tie Highland Chieftain's Ball", I would most definitely try to stick with the traditional Highland customs so as not to look 'touristy' at the latter event.

As to hose, claret/maroon would be perfect. White or ecru hose may be worn, but can have a very generic look to them if they're not very thick.

For flashes, definitely stay away from tartan flashes. Plain red flashes (with a very minimal amount showing) would be better. Or even better than that, woolen garter ties. I always favour red, regardless of the tartan. But in your case, red garter ties would look strange with claret hose, so perhaps yellow would be perfect since the MacPherson dress tartan has a yellow line.

On shoes, I would go with plain black polished Oxfords or a cap-toe shoe. Wingtips (brogues) really aren't the best shoe for this level of dress, even though it is occasionally done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    The rental aspects of tartan flashes apart, the main thing wrong with them is that they are all too long - far, far too long.
    Chas
    Why? What is this length factor based?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    For flashes, definitely stay away from tartan flashes.
    Why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast