X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eyre, Loch Snizort, by Portree ~ Isle of Skye
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Pipe Practice" by William Bruce Ellis Ranken

I've only just discovered the work of Scottish Artist William Bruce Ellis Ranken 1881-1941, who was apparently mentored by John Singer Sargent. ( I can see his influence.) He was a "Society" Painter and didn't specifically concentrate on Kilts, Pipers, or historical subjects, but I rather like his attention to detail in this one.

I reckon @OCRichard has seen this, but I wonder how many of the rest of us have.

Pipe-Practice.jpg
    Orionson
    "I seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old.
    I seek the things they sought." ~ Basho

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Orionson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His style reminds me somewhat of the great AE Haswell Miller's style.

Orionson

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orionson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little research reveals that Pipe Practice was painted in 1918.

Orionson

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orionson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have indeed seen this painting before John, and I have always admired it. I just love the overall composition (the way your eye moves around the canvas) and painting technique. The anatomy of the three figures is absolutely stellar as well. Yes, you are correct in observing the Sargent influenced Ranken's work. Most definitely. Funnily enough, I had actually studied both artists as part of my minor in art history during my tenure as an undergraduate attaining my B.F.A. in oil-painting and anatomy drawing.

Thanks for sharing this lovely work.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 25th September 14 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Typo.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to creagdhubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the painting, but what strikes me most about it is the way it's cropped. It has a very modern, almost digital quality to the framing as if it were a close up of the figures.

I don't know enough about art history to know how much influence photography had on oil painters or if there's another tradition at work.
    - Steve Mitchell

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to S Mitchell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is very nice. Good attention to detail. I can see lots of detail that makes me feel their activity.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tulloch For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S Mitchell View Post
    I like the painting, but what strikes me most about it is the way it's cropped. It has a very modern, almost digital quality to the framing as if it were a close up of the figures.

I don't know enough about art history to know how much influence photography had on oil painters or if there's another tradition at work.
    Perhaps, @creagdhubh could shed some light?
    Orionson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    I have indeed seen this painting before John, and I have always admired it. I just love the overall composition (the way your eye moves around the canvas) and painting technique. The anatomy of the three figures is absolutely stellar as well. Yes, you are correct in observing the Sargent influenced Ranken's work. Most definitely. Funnily enough, I had actually studied both artists as part of my minor in art history during my tenure as an undergraduate attaining my B.F.A. in oil-painting and anatomy drawing.

Thanks for sharing this lovely work.

Cheers,

You are a man o many airts an pairts, @creagdhubh. I am fascinated by your degree in Oil Painting and Anatomy Drawing. I'd be interested in seeing some of your work. Surely, there must be some Scottish themes in your portfolio which may be of interest to many here.

Given your admiration for the Royals, is it safe to presume that you are a fan of Charles III'S watercolours?

Orionson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S Mitchell View Post

Like you, I find the truncated composition interesting/curious. I couldn't help but wonder if Ranken either had a phobia about feet, or just didn't think he painted feet well. Only half-heartedly, of course. I did wonder if the cropping was in the digital reproduction so I researched the original, and found that this is how he painted it. Interesting decision as his other works don't seem to use this approach.

I'd love to know the history of this particular picture, as he doesn't seem to have painted many overtly Scottish pictures. He was a "Society" Painter, as was Sargent. The Regimental nature of the kit of the Pipers and the 1918 date point to the WWI dynamic.

I wonder if resident expert on such matters @OC Richard may be able to shed some light on the subject?

Last edited by Orionson; 27th September 14 at 03:01 AM.
    Orionson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orionson View Post
    Like you, I find the truncated composition interesting/curious. I couldn't help but wonder if Ranken either had a phobia about feet, or just didn't think he painted feet well. Only half-heartedly, of course. I did wonder if the cropping was in the digital reproduction so I researched the original, and found that this is how he painted it. Interesting decision as his other works don't seem to use this approach.

I'd love to know the history of this particular picture, as he doesn't seem to have painted many overtly Scottish pictures. He was a "Society" Painter, as was Sargent. The Regimental nature of the kit of the Pipers and the 1918 date point to the WWI dynamic.

I wonder if resident expert on such matters @OC Richard may be able to shed some light on the subject?

I'd googled it also and was surprised to see the original cropped as it was.

This morning, I did a quick search for information about the painter, and I found he was friends with a photographer named Adolph De Meyer, who, around that time, worked as a photographer for Vogue and then Vanity Fair.

I wonder if de Meyer's work had any influence on William Bruce Ellis Ranken?
    Last edited by S Mitchell; 27th September 14 at 05:59 AM.
    - Steve Mitchell

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to S Mitchell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast