X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daywear Sporran - leather finishing?

'Allo rabble!

I'm an amateur leatherworker (hobbyist, really) who's decided to put together a daywear sporran, mostly because most of the stuff I've seen for sale hasn't been of great quality, and what little I have seen that passes muster has been more than I'd like to pay when I'm pretty sure I can do about as well (I guess we'll see about that!)

So, I've patterned and I'm in the initial cutting/tooling stages, but I have a conundrum that some of you may be able to advise on. All of my previous leather projects I've finished with Atom Wax, as I prefer the luster and feel, and am comfortable with the application. However, none of my work has been worn next to an expensive fabric garment such as a kilt, not to mention exposed to the repeated contact friction that occurs with a sporran. I'm not sure if the finish is 1) up to the task of protecting the leather, and 2) free from transference to the fabric of the kilt.

Anyone have any experience with Atom Wax and tartan wool? Anyone have any preferred finishing for sporrans that meets the two criteria above?

Thanks in advance for your help and experience.

-Caleb

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with Atom Wax. Does it give you a shiny waxed surface like a shoe polish, or more of a soft finish? In your other projects where you have used it, does it hold up to wear and moisture?

If you're using regular tanned leather and dyeing it, I would play it safe and use something that seals in the dye, at least on the back side that touches the kilt. A hot sweaty day with high humidity, plus the rubbing action, could lead to dye leaching out of the leather and into your kilt. I typically use something like Neat-Lac or another "finish" for that. But it will really depend on the quality and type of leather you're using, the dyes, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tobus, though new to the forum I'm not new to the world of leather [law enforcement 26 yrs]. I had Donnie Wyvern of Wyvern Leatherworks make me a brown day sporran in the US Army insignia [full eagle not lone star]. He advised to let the sporran air dry the just shine it! I contacted Robert MacDonald of west coast kilts in Canada due to his service in the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. He told me the same thing Tobus stated you want something that will seal and protect the leather while allowing it to breathe. He recommended neutral shoe polish as brown polish may darken the leather, much like a shoe apply polish let sit a few minutes then buff with a brush and finish with a soft rag. He closed by saying "don't do what some strange people do and spit shine your sporran. Nobody wears a spit shined sporran." Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    I agree with Tobus, though new to the forum I'm not new to the world of leather [law enforcement 26 yrs]. I had Donnie Wyvern of Wyvern Leatherworks make me a brown day sporran in the US Army insignia [full eagle not lone star]. He advised to let the sporran air dry the just shine it! I contacted Robert MacDonald of west coast kilts in Canada due to his service in the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. He told me the same thing Tobus stated you want something that will seal and protect the leather while allowing it to breathe. He recommended neutral shoe polish as brown polish may darken the leather, much like a shoe apply polish let sit a few minutes then buff with a brush and finish with a soft rag. He closed by saying "don't do what some strange people do and spit shine your sporran. Nobody wears a spit shined sporran." Hope this helps.
    Sound advice, but be wary of some the 'cheaper' neutral shoe products; they contain additives that will darken the leather in an uneven way. Regrettably, this doesn't 'imitate' natural weathering.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I would finish a piece of scrap with the atom wax and rub it on a scrap of cloth and see what happens. I like the satiny look of atom wax too. Haven`t used it on a sporran, but I have used it on belts and such. I have a feeling it would be OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Atom Wax on the stiff leather of several sporrans with no problems. Since you've used it before, you're probably aware that it often will lift some of the excess dye from the surface of an unfinished project when first applied. After it is set and buffed it provides some water repellency with a nice satin sheen. However, it doesn't play well with soft leathers. As noted by others, the best advice is to try it on some scrap leather and cloth before plunging ahead.
    Last edited by MNlad; 14th August 18 at 12:04 PM.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -