X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help with X-Kilt!

I'm making Alan H's X-Kilt for my son, and am stuck at the section about tacking down the "over apron". The second paragraph says to turn back the reverse pleat 2 1/5" at hem & 5" at waist. I don't understand this section & cannot picture it. Does anyone have a picture of the inside of an x- kilt so I can see what this is supposed to look like?
    Please Hurry! I need to get this done so I can start on the new bagpipe covers for the rest of the pipers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The over apron is A-shaped, so the reverse pleat will be narrower at the hem than at the top/waist. 2.5 flare may be too much for your son, you could try 1.5 or even .75 at each side (for total 3 inches or 1.5 inches difference between apron width at hem vs. waist). Less flare also makes it easier to sew, as the top of the pleat wants to angle downward when you fold it in the A-shape. Too much downward angle, and you won't catch the inner folded edge of the pleat in your waistband seam.

Whatever flare you choose, you'll match when you fold the right-hand edge of over apron for finishing.

Not sure this pic will help, but here's the front apron of an XKilt-in-progress with the left-hand lower edge folded back to show a very deep reverse pleat. I think you can see the apron's A-shaping (wider at hem than at waist).

Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].