X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a new trick for pleating

although i have tailoring men's suits off and on for more years then i care to say i'm still finding new ways to do things
    on the subject of pleating i cam up with a fast and easy way to make sure you pleats are dead on

i make a tag board that's like card stock to the non artistic of you.
    in the shape of the pleat. then cut it out i punch several sets of hols with a card punch so that i can pin it to the fabric. place it on the tartan at the appropriated position. fold and pin every thing in place and stitch along card board lower edge. make sure that the fabric is not wavering back and forth under the edge. or you can us the card board to thread bast or even draw a chock line. but i find chock
    to be a bit inaccurate as its hard to get a thin precise line
    any way im sure you all have some good trick too if any one wants to offer them up im game

now if any one can tell me how to fix my aging atal brain so i don't do dumb things that i know vary good and well not to do i would be ever so grateful
    Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A picture of this would be great.

Having a hard time visualizing this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Paul Henry uses a similar technique.

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    I believe Paul Henry uses a similar technique.
    sort of but not really,

I do make a template which is the width of the pleat at the hip, the length of the fell and the width at the waist, this isn't pinned, or chalked, I only use it as a guide, and I generally use about 3 pins to hold the pleat before sewing. The idea of cutting a scrap of card with the pleat width marked on isn't really all that strange or new.
    I never pin the card to the fabric and sew around it, it simply wouldn't work very well that way, not least that you are covering up the bit of fabric that you see, infact the most important bit of fabric that you see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhenry View Post
    sort of but not really,

I do make a template which is the width of the pleat at the hip, the length of the fell and the width at the waist, this isn't pinned, or chalked, I only use it as a guide, and I generally use about 3 pins to hold the pleat before sewing. The idea of cutting a scrap of card with the pleat width marked on isn't really all that strange or new.
    I never pin the card to the fabric and sew around it, it simply wouldn't work very well that way, not least that you are covering up the bit of fabric that you see, infact the most important bit of fabric that you see!
    thanks that's a good point! i forgot to mention that i put marks on the template at all of the tartans patter points so i can match them up correctly but even still i have to peak under the edges just to make sure i do this when i pin and i make sure not to angal my needle when i take my bite of the top part of the pleat i'm sure i don't have to tell you that's why most beginner sewers have problems with there fabric moving out of place as they sew along the seams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very interesting way of pleating the Isle of Skye tartan, Paul. Have you posted pictures of this finished product anywhere? I don't want to thread hijack anymore than I already have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspiringloser View Post
    That is a very interesting way of pleating the Isle of Skye tartan, Paul. Have you posted pictures of this finished product anywhere? I don't want to thread hijack anymore than I already have.
    i am still working on it i did not figure this out until i had about 5 of the pleats already sewn this is only my second kilt but sins i have tailored for years it doesn't seem that hard as a mater of fact after i got Barbra T book it looked vary complicated in comparison to my first one but after i got in to it i realized it was not that hard i would be more then happy to take a picture but its all full of tacking I'm not sure it would show you much all do it later today I'm on pacific time and i must go to work now
    Paul
    o and i don't think you are thread hijacking i asked for others to comment with there ideas so its a rather open invite

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    i am still working on it i did not figure this out until i had about 5 of the pleats already sewn this is only my second kilt but sins i have tailored for years it doesn't seem that hard as a mater of fact after i got Barbra T book it looked vary complicated in comparison to my first one but after i got in to it i realized it was not that hard i would be more then happy to take a picture but its all full of tacking I'm not sure it would show you much all do it later today I'm on pacific time and i must go to work now
    Paul
    o and i don't think you are thread hijacking i asked for others to comment with there ideas so its a rather open invite
    I believe Aspiringloser was actually talking to me.....(rather than Damocles) because of the mention of the Isle of Skye kilt pleating picture, and in answer to him, I always discuss the options with the client, and this particular one wanted as much purple as possible, I'ver done quite a few to the Half/half stripe with other tartans and it seems to satisfy his request. I'm still working on this but when it is finish I will happily post you on a picture, I've also got a facebook page with details of it and other kilts , which is public so you don't need to sign up to, if you send me a message I can let you have the name, but a little careful search would also get you to the right place!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhenry View Post
    I believe Aspiringloser was actually talking to me.....(rather than Damocles) because of the mention of the Isle of Skye kilt pleating picture, and in answer to him, I always discuss the options with the client, and this particular one wanted as much purple as possible, I'ver done quite a few to the Half/half stripe with other tartans and it seems to satisfy his request. I'm still working on this but when it is finish I will happily post you on a picture, I've also got a facebook page with details of it and other kilts , which is public so you don't need to sign up to, if you send me a message I can let you have the name, but a little careful search would also get you to the right place!
    LOL sorry my name is Paul also and it was 3Am as i was getting ready for work sorry for this misunderstanding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the confusion, Pauls.
    Paul. (I am one also)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast