X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Culloden Era Coat

Following a lead I pick up during the week I arranged a visit to a private house today to view what was allegedly the tartan coat that had belonged to a member of Prince Charles Edward's staff. I fully expected to be presented with a Regency jacket that the family tradition said had been worn by your know who. What I found astounded me; a beautiful and previously unknown mid-18th century hard tartan riding coat, one of only two or three that survive. It's going to take me some time to study it in detail but here's a taster. Notice with stylistic similarity with the Coat from Culloden.

Last edited by figheadair; 7th December 14 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, beautiful! The colours are gorgeous, very rich but not in your face - true to the dyes that were available at the time. Even the lining is amazing - looks like fine silk.

Can you tell how the covered buttons were made?

Now you have to do some serious sleuthing...sounds like it'll will be right up your alley, figheadair. Keep us posted, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive, Peter! Well caught!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm anxiously awaiting your paper on this one. What a GEM! It's amazing to me that things like this lie hidden for so long from the eyes of experts.

If I had something of that age I'd want every expert I could find to examine/verify/authenticate it.

ith:
    artificer Pronunciation: \är-ˈti-fə-sər, ˈär-tə-fə-sər\ : noun : 14th century :a skilled or artistic worker or craftsman
    Artificer Custom Sporrans
    *Home of the Original Kenneth MacLeay Sporran Project & Functional Brass Cantles*

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to artificer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchwiz View Post
    Oooh, beautiful! The colours are gorgeous, very rich but not in your face - true to the dyes that were available at the time. Even the lining is amazing - looks like fine silk.

Can you tell how the covered buttons were made?

Now you have to do some serious sleuthing...sounds like it'll will be right up your alley, figheadair. Keep us posted, please.
    The colours are slightly faded, especially the blue which originally was a subtle green. The lining material appears to be a fine cotton and the buttons to have the material gatyhered tight around a simple wooden button.

Judging by the quality if the tartan and the construction this coat was a high quality item in its day and something that almost certainly was produced in the major centre such as Edinburgh, Glasgow or the like. The tartan and lining is fine and there is a coarser unbleached twill wool inter-layer to give structurally integrity to the garment.

Here's the rear view.

Last edited by figheadair; 7th December 14 at 08:00 AM. Reason: More info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very interesting coat and your photos show some really nice details. I look forward to your eventual paper and the comparison between the Culloden coat and this one.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Adjutant, Post 2, Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photo on post number one disappeared......no photo......?

Hawk

( ah, there it is....thank you.....)
    Last edited by Hawk; 9th December 14 at 09:12 AM.
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The photo on post number one disappeared......no photo......?

Hawk
    Blamed Photobucket Found it again.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is astonishing. Thanks. Look forward to more information.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, found another bit! This is a piece of the section taken from the back of the left arm. Judging by the style of the writing I'd say that this was removed pre-1850, possibly as early s the late 18th century.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast