X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Thread: Footwear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footwear

I was digging around to no avail for an answer to this question. About what time did knitted hose start showing up in Scotland? Kilts showed up around 1590ish, but the knitted hose as worn with kilts seem to be a latter thing. I know that nailbinding (an early form of crochet-like knitting) has been around since at least the Viking era, and that knitting as we know it could date back to around the same time as a skill with the Muslim and middle eastern cultures. I'm continuing work on my 1590-16-teens highland kit, and I need to do some work on my footwear. I to date have been wearing moggans with bare feet, but I need some shoes for the cooler times of the year. I have found out how to make the shoes, and found some vendors that sell them. But I need to figure out if knit hose are an option, or if I will be making bag hose. So does anyone on here know the answer to this question, or have some resources that I could check?
    Gloria Patri! Thither Yond! Jeremiah! Do-lang Do-lang! (All things I have shouted in a charge.) http://www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure of the source of the information but Lonely Socks says the knitted hose first showed up in Scotland in the 15th century. I believe that I have heard this time period before but will continue to search. More information: before knit hose cloth stocking with a seam up the back were in use. A Brief History of Socks and Hand-knitted Footwear. You might find the information from the Sock Museum of help.
    Last edited by Friday; 12th July 13 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These were fairly entertaining. Lonely Socks however, gives no references (sad because it could otherwise be more useful). The "history of..." site I think includes info on garments of woven and nailbinding make with little or no distinction between the methods and true knitting. Then they also skipped over chauses altogether. The sock museum link is very useful as I am also researching for a book that I'm writing based in the 13th century. Thanks for the help. I've been at this for a while.
    Gloria Patri! Thither Yond! Jeremiah! Do-lang Do-lang! (All things I have shouted in a charge.) http://www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com