X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Great Kilt with More Modern Day/Evening Attire

Hello all.

I am an owner of a great kilt. I acquired it some years ago while involved in a historical re-enactment group that was loosely connected to our local Scottish club. I like the kilt as it has a very full and regal look, but all of my accompanying garb has a decidedly 17th century look to it. As I'm no longer involved with the re-enactment group, I don't find it always desirable to look like I'm playing a part when I attend Scottish functions.

The main problem is when browsing online, I am unable to find pictures of someone in a great kilt that does not appear like they are members of the SCA (not that I think there's necessarily any thing wrong with that... but as I mentioned above...)

Any advice for appropriate day and evening wear jackets? Any opinions about combining modern(ish) garb with decidedly historic pieces of clothing (like a 17th century waistcoat with a tweed jacket).

Any help, advice, opinions, or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend ensuring that the kilt is donned neatly, and not in the typical "toga/sash" manner done by most SCA folks. Many old images show the kilt being pinned over the left shoulder, with the rest neatly tucked away, the resulting look not unlike an over-sized fly plaid tucked into the waistband. It could be done up in "cloak" configuration when outdoors in foul weather, but I'd recommend having a brooch on your person to pin it over the shoulder when you go indoors.

I think that the belted plaid would look nice with a tweed day jacket, and a plain, leather sporran. I'd avoid having more than one piece of anachronistic clothing on your person... so if wearing the belted plaid, there's the one item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you asked...

...the great kilt is an historical anachronism today. Respectfully, while I too deeply respect and love the look of it, I wouldn't wear it except for historical situations because it will always be an anachronism.

It's not what Scots ever do today or even in recent memory, so you won't likely look right any more than you would going into a formal dinner wearing a full Pipe Major's uniform with a mace. It's beautiful, it's marvellous, and I love it... it just doesn't fit any more than I would going to such an event wearing my Sunday morning vestiture as a priest. I have the right to wear it, but it's not the time or place.

That's why you won't likely find pictures of it being used as you describe. Not to criticize, but (hopefully) to give you the context for which you were asking.

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

4. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Since you asked...

...the great kilt is an historical anachronism today. Respectfully, while I too deeply respect and love the look of it, I wouldn't wear it except for historical situations because it will always be an anachronism.

It's not what Scots ever do today or even in recent memory, so you won't likely look right any more than you would going into a formal dinner wearing a full Pipe Major's uniform with a mace. It's beautiful, it's marvellous, and I love it... it just doesn't fit any more than I would going to such an event wearing my Sunday morning vestiture as a priest. I have the right to wear it, but it's not the time or place.

That's why you won't likely find pictures of it being used as you describe. Not to criticize, but (hopefully) to give you the context for which you were asking.

Bill+
    I appreciate your take on this. I wasn't quite sure how I could pull this together and it appears that it perhaps won't look right. I may still play around with it anyway. I am planning to purchase a modern kilt anyhow, but just not now.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Frigid Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Livonian View Post
    I would recommend ensuring that the kilt is donned neatly, and not in the typical "toga/sash" manner done by most SCA folks. Many old images show the kilt being pinned over the left shoulder, with the rest neatly tucked away, the resulting look not unlike an over-sized fly plaid tucked into the waistband. It could be done up in "cloak" configuration when outdoors in foul weather, but I'd recommend having a brooch on your person to pin it over the shoulder when you go indoors.

I think that the belted plaid would look nice with a tweed day jacket, and a plain, leather sporran. I'd avoid having more than one piece of anachronistic clothing on your person... so if wearing the belted plaid, there's the one item.
    Thanks for the feedback. I will probably play around with day wear options, but I am less confident about making it look right with evening wear at a Burns Night Event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all due respect to Father Bill (a man full of sound advice for conservative/traditional kilting); I, as most would suspect, disagree... to an extent. It is true that the great kilt is a historical garment that is nearly extinct in non-historical context, and thus would most certainly stand out like a sore thumb in most situations. However, I feel that they can still be worn with modern attire. Bearing in mind, though, you will be stared at even amongst other kilties. My advice on the matter should be taken as the advice of one who wears what he likes for the most part, and that is usually not the social norm.

I have been wearing the GK with both day and evening attire for quite a while now. My main reason for using modern kilts more frequently is a matter of personal laziness. It takes a lot more time to put one on neatly than with the modern kilt. In this first picture, I am wearing a combination that I would wear if I were taking a walk. (Though I am a rumpled mess as I threw it on in a hurry for my wife's photography assignment) None-the-less, it shows that with a short vest/waistcoat and modern shirt and tie, a daywear look can come together.

In this second image I got stopped during the clean-up after a black tie party for New Year's Eve (IE: still rumpled and I switched my bright shiny shoes out to avoid them being beat up). Note that with a modern bowtie it would look even less historical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilt1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	25238

In any case, the thing to remember is that your jackets and waistcoats will need to be short with little-to-no tails (no PCs) as they bunch up when you bring up the top of the plaid over the shoulder. This is why many of my kilt jackets are cut shorter than most would recommend on here. Also, functioning epaulettes are quite handy at holding the top part up on the shoulder. As a piece of practical advice on the matter; I recommend broaching plaid to plaid as seen in the second image. It saves wear on the jacket and helps keep it from riding back from the weight.
    Gloria Patri! Thither Yond! Jeremiah! Do-lang Do-lang! (All things I have shouted in a charge.) http://www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are looking very good in both photos, sir!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does look pretty smart (both photos). I guess the truth is, when you don a kilt you will be turning heads and looking "differ'nt" in the eyes of some regardless of whether it's a great kilt or modern one. I'm not going to be too hasty in ditching the GK. Your photos and advice have given some inspiration.

Thanks,
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'm actually hoping that this thread will get a bit more attention as I am planning a "One Great Kilt, Ten Looks" thread like the one that was posted using modern kilts. So if there is anyone wanting to help, just shoot me a PM (to avoid a thread-jacking). The looks are intended to be modern, the exception being "Festival" which I will be posting an image of my ren faire garb. The reason is because my modern "festival" attire is basically my smart day wear. I will be needing pictures of people incorporating the great kilt into the following modern looks:

Very casual
    Festival wear
    Sporty
    Day wear
    Smart day wear
    Dressy
    Suit
    Semi-formal
    Back tie
    White tie
    Gloria Patri! Thither Yond! Jeremiah! Do-lang Do-lang! (All things I have shouted in a charge.) http://www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymous View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilt1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	25238
    However beautiful that outfit is, part of me has the same reaction to this photo as it does to the ones I see all the time of kilted men at Victorian Balls, Civil War Balls, Dickens events, and the like: the wearing of an outfit which evokes a historical period with a fair amount of internal consistency (whether or not the intention is to be historical) but with the sort of sporran that didn't exist until the 20th century.

Throw on an MOD Artificer like this and Bob's Your Uncle.

What I think the OP is suggesting is a different kettle of fish: what if the fillamore had never died out, but had had an unbroken continuum of use in Highland Dress up to today, and therefore was, today, a "traditional" thing rather than an "historical" one? Then we would have the fillamore being worn in the various modes of modern traditional Highland Dress as it evolved in the early 20th century: Evening Dress with Prince Charlies, modern Evening Dress sporrans, etc, and Day Dress with tweed Argyll jackets, modern Day Dress sporrans, etc.

Of course Highland Dress didn't happen like that. The fillamore fell out of use, and its modern use is a revival, rather than a survival. But we can imagine an alternative history, can't we?
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th July 15 at 04:22 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast