X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacobite Wall Painting

Some of you may have seen this but for many I guess that it will be a complete surprise.

These murals were discovered in the 1980s during renovations at Loevestein Castle in the Netherlands. Lord George Murray was in excile with his family nearby and it was the home of the Scots-Dutch Brigade.

This photo wqas taken by my father in the 1980s when he examined the murals. Although in quite poor condition it offers a facinating insight to the clothing of what I suspect were Jacobites in excile and so probably dates to c1750. I have no idea if the mural is still visable or has been re-covered to protect it. I have written to the castle to find out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that they were mentioned here but no-one appears to have followed up the offer. I will contact Henk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the picture of the mural. It is really fascinating. The checkered kilt hose the the second man from the left is wearing are particularly interesting. Please post any more info on the mural that you discover. In the original thread, someone posted that it may have beena a Mackay who painted the mural, if so then it if very unlikely that they are Jacobites.
    -Martin

"Cuimhnich air na daoine bhon tanaig thu"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celt72 View Post
    Thanks for posting the picture of the mural. It is really fascinating. The checkered kilt hose the the second man from the left is wearing are particularly interesting. Please post any more info on the mural that you discover. In the original thread, someone posted that it may have beena a Mackay who painted the mural, if so then it if very unlikely that they are Jacobites.
    Yes, the hose are interesting because of the fact that they are painted square cut as opposed to on the bias. The piper is clearly wearing bias cut diced hose so I assume that the other ones are accurately painted and were indeed square cut.

There is absolutely no evidence of the mural having been painted by a MacKay. That is probably someone adding 1 + 1 and making 5! The Scots-Dutch Brigade was founded by a MacKay but that does not mean that everyone in it would have been a MacKay and it would certainly have contained Catholics and therefore likely Jacobite supporters. It is also a fact that Lord George Murray lived very close by so there is an immediate connection with a very prominent Jacobite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Yes, the hose are interesting because of the fact that they are painted square cut as opposed to on the bias. The piper is clearly wearing bias cut diced hose so I assume that the other ones are accurately painted and were indeed square cut.

There is absolutely no evidence of the mural having been painted by a MacKay. That is probably someone adding 1 + 1 and making 5! The Scots-Dutch Brigade was founded by a MacKay but that does not mean that everyone in it would have been a MacKay and it would certainly have contained Catholics and therefore likely Jacobite supporters. It is also a fact that Lord George Murray lived very close by so there is an immediate connection with a very prominent Jacobite.
    That makes more sense to me. Thanks for the clarification and hopefully we'll learn more about this fascinating mural.
    -Martin

"Cuimhnich air na daoine bhon tanaig thu"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this pic. The piper made the front cover of last month's Piping Times magazine, but as I recall not much info given. Irritatingly I can't check right now as the magazine is somewhere in a packing box, but I seem to recall that the paintings had been researched by historian Keith Sanger and a detailed article was to follow in a future issue.
    Last edited by MacSpadger; 29th June 12 at 01:19 AM. Reason: image added

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting! It appears that the piper is wearing a belted plaid, and the central figure a little kilt with separate plaid (or blanket roll?). Both men seem to be wearing their sporrans high up on quite narrow belts.
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we don't know is exactly what this mural depicts but one assumes that it must have been pretty significant for it to have been painted on a foreign castle wall. The central couple and man on the right look to be dancing whilst the central man appears to be wearing a little plaid slung campaign style so this is possibly set outside. There is also a peripheral figure in the mural is apparently that of a Grenadier from the Scotch-Dutch Brigade who had been stationed at Loevestein.

The figure on the right is etched but not coloured; he appears to be wearing a feileadh mor whereas the other male dancer, and possibly the piper too, wear a feileadh beag. So few examples of female Highland costume, either clothing or in portraits, survive that it's difficult to be certain what is shown but the tartan is predominately red and so therefore expensive in its day. Perhaps this is a wedding celebration of the type show in Allan's Highland Wedding or some similarly important even.

georgeetta is offline This person has opted out of remaining active
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    catch the bonnet size, sporran adn sword basket details .

neat
    th
    d