X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just some pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Laurel and Hardy photo must be from their Scottish themed movie, "Bonnie Scotland". I've never seen it, but it's on my list of things to watch- especially now. I'm hoping it's sort of a northern companion to "Chumps At Oxford."

Pennsyl-tuckey-vill-burg-town (aka central Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck of NI View Post
    The Laurel and Hardy photo must be from their Scottish themed movie, "Bonnie Scotland". I've never seen it, but it's on my list of things to watch- especially now. I'm hoping it's sort of a northern companion to "Chumps At Oxford."
    Actually I just looked it up. It's Road to Bali according to the site I found.

By the way, I hope those last guys were allowed to get dressed before the XO made them do punishment pushups.
    [COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]God bless the kilted everywhere and all who see them![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]The kilt! It gets in your blood and cannae be removed through medicine or magic.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biblemonkey View Post
    Actually I just looked it up. It's Road to Bali according to the site I found.

By the way, I hope those last guys were allowed to get dressed before the XO made them do punishment pushups.
    ?? ?? "Road to Bali" was Hope and Crosby surely? Like in all the 'Road To' movies? L&H had the Chump thing as their trademark, at least in my mind, altho for accuracy sake the movie I cited was "A Chump At Oxford," being a takeoff on the even stupider, in its own way, movie "A Yank At... etc"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope and Crosby, at one point in the dance number they do in kilts, just throw the bagpipes off to the side!

I don't know if the Laurel and Hardy photo is from Bonnie Scotland. In that movie they're dressed in the wonderful tropical uniform of The Black Watch.

Here's a classic scene from Bonnie Scotland. The pipe band is playing The Campbells Are Coming, a tune overplayed at that time and rarely heard on the pipes today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aXv1J9ewjY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Pictures. and the video was cool to see the uniform from "all around" never realized they had the "Feathers" cockels? or what ever they are on the hard helmets.
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Pennsyl-tuckey-vill-burg-town (aka central Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

?? ?? "Road to Bali" was Hope and Crosby surely? Like in all the 'Road To' movies? L&H had the Chump thing as their trademark, at least in my mind, altho for accuracy sake the movie I cited was "A Chump At Oxford," being a takeoff on the even stupider, in its own way, movie "A Yank At... etc"

Sorry, I must have miss read the names. I was posting the name of the Hope/Crosby movie, you are correct.

Hugh
    [COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]God bless the kilted everywhere and all who see them![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]The kilt! It gets in your blood and cannae be removed through medicine or magic.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't access Youtube, which is regarded as a security drainhole where I work, but I appreciate the thought. Having now read about the film, apparently about 10 minutes of the film is in Scotland and the rest set in India. Of course that photo could also be from a short, of which them made many. Those were hugely popular on TV in the 50s, when kids like me were growing up, but now you hardly ever see L&H at all. Pity.

"Well Stanley, this is another fine mess you've gotten us into!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biblemonkey View Post
    What do you want to bet the SOs said something like "Sporrans will not be worn without hose" ?

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48 45' 51.5808" N / -122 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't access Youtube, which is regarded as a security drainhole where I work, but I appreciate the thought.
    Are you able to view youtube videos posted directly to this forum?

Having now read about the film, apparently about 10 minutes of the film is in Scotland and the rest set in India. Of course that photo could also be from a short, of which them made many.
    Once when I was searching for vintage photos of Laurel & Hardy (many which I posted to the vintage kilt thread), I ran across that one. The source for it said it was a publicity photo from an appearance in Scotland (I can't recall the year).

The kilts & hose were offered up by some auction site a couple years ago.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast