X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splendid, Gabe, just splendid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice !
    Andrew Philip
    NE TARDE PAS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd post this video because it is a bit humorous. Right at the end, my sgian which was placed in my sporran to keep my hose from descending during the energetic songs flies out and lands on the floor much to everyone's amusement.

The Irish Washerwoman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAaUtmeaius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --and you didn't miss a step!

Should we we ever meet at a Regency Ball, I'll be sticking to the older dances. Rant steps and skip changes are among the moves to avoid after the mileage I've put on my knees.

English Country Dance events that I attend usually attract a few kilties: I have yet to see two of the same tartan on the dance floor.
    EPITAPH: Decades from now, no one will know what my bank balance looked like, it won't matter to anyone what kind of car I drove, nor will anyone care what sort of house I lived in. But the world will be a different place, because I did something so mind bafflingly eccentric that my ruins have become a tourist attraction.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    What years are meant by "regency"?

Here's Highland costume from 1822. Note the high collar popular at that time:

and Highland costume in 1835. Note the double-breasted jacket with wide lapels:

In that photo of a guy, he's wearing a MOD sporran that wasn't invented until the 1980s, which is completely anachronistic in every possible way to the early 19th century.

In the early 19th century the style of sporran seen in the 1835 costume was common, black hair with a fringe of contrasting white hair overlapping, and tassels with red leather cones. Note that there's no cantle, but simply a stitched red leather rim.
    Good post. These are of course outfits of the gentry and it is they that were going to balls.

I appreciate that the original poster doesn't wants to go for a plain jacket which is his perogative. However, it is worth pointing out that in every surviving example of the period, and there are several more, the jacket is tartan, either straight cut or on the bias. Love the steel ball buttons too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    What years are meant by "regency"?

Here's Highland costume from 1822. Note the high collar popular at that time:

and Highland costume in 1835. Note the double-breasted jacket with wide lapels:

In that photo of a guy, he's wearing a MOD sporran that wasn't invented until the 1980s, which is completely anachronistic in every possible way to the early 19th century.

In the early 19th century the style of sporran seen in the 1835 costume was common, black hair with a fringe of contrasting white hair overlapping, and tassels with red leather cones. Note that there's no cantle, but simply a stitched red leather rim.
    Love those sporrans!

2nd to One is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothir Ethelnor View Post
    I thought I'd post this video because it is a bit humorous. Right at the end, my sgian which was placed in my sporran to keep my hose from descending during the energetic songs flies out and lands on the floor much to everyone's amusement.

The Irish Washerwoman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAaUtmeaius
    It was definitely one of the most memorable parts of the ball, Gabe. I love your shrug to the audience...Hahaha!
    Amazing work, Gabe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234