X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a proper knot

I am getting a vintage Army style Black Watch kilt that comes with 2 ties on the right and no belts.
    Is there a proper knot that would have been used in the regiments when tying these? A square knot maybe??
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reference to this type of closure that I have been able to find is here http://blog.albanach.org/2006/05/str...take-two.html:

"These were individual alterations done to the kilts, and were neither uniform nor sanctioned. Since there was no "standard" way to do it, per se, people could use anything, from buttons to ties to leather straps."

As an "individual alteration" there is unlikely to have been a proper knot. I would certainly be interested in seeing a photo of the kilt ties.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very interesting, I don't think I've come across a photo showing that. Then again, it's rare to find any vintage military photos where the top of the kilt isn't hidden by a jacket.

I have seen quite a few old army kilts that didn't have any sort of fastening, and were presumably fastened with pins.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see the image (site not available).

Richard, you are correct about the use of pins. I was told by Bill clelland, erstwhile PM with the Athol Highlanders, that during the war when he served with the BW, they fastened their kilts with two 6" pins that were topped with black glass beads (one on each side of the groin. Apparently it took a while to get the knack of placing them but once accomplished it was perfectly comfortable and practicle. They of course were not wearing the kilt in action and I can't imagine surving dash-down-crawl without injury.