X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: "WHY" of modern kilts

A truly outstanding looking and crafted kilt Brian. Matt does great work indeed.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: "WHY" of modern kilts

Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    All I can say is that without all those wonderfully sewn pleats you will never get that swing!
    Quite right, McClef!!! The 'tunes of glory!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Yup, to echo the others, the philabeg is what you want.

But to address the question of how today's traditional kilt evolved from the original belted plaid, I would guess there are thousands of theories. It doesn't take much pondering to understand why they separated it into two pieces (today's "kilt" and "plaid" being separate instead of one single piece of cloth). This was for convenience and versatility.

But as for the construction of today's traditional kilt, I would guess that it evolved over time as people got sick and tired of having sloppy pleats, or having the top of their kilt slip out from under their belt and go haywire. Sewing down the fell keeps everything put together in a tidy manner, and helps it conform to your body from the top (waist) down to just above the widest point of your buttocks. This is extremely useful in avoiding constant readjustment, as well as ensuring a consistent fit every time you put it on. And the straps, of course, make it easy to put on and wear without relying on a separate belt.

It's really the combination of the sewed-down fell and the straps/buckles that make the kilt a well-tailored garment that really fits the owner. If it were just a random piece of cloth, gathered with a rope and cinched down by an exterior belt, it can easily get out of whack and look sloppy. So the tailoring of the kilt probably evolved in order to make it a more wearable garment.

I don't find that the stitched fell limits my movement in any way. Maybe it just feels different to you if you're used to it being simply draped from your waist down? But all the moving parts seem to be below the fell, so I'm not quite sure how that would restrict movement. Are you sure your kilt is custom-made to your body, with the proper fell length?
    I agree. Well stated, Tobus.

Cheers mate,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure your kilt is custom-made to your body, with the proper fell length?
    I'll second this question.

From the OP's verbage, it sounds like he may be wearing an off-the-peg kilt... and I personally think that could be his problem.

Having a proper kilt that's been made to the wearer's measurements, makes a WORLD of difference over an off the rack job.

@the OP: Would you mind sharing with us what kind of kilt you currently have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    Our own Matt Newsome will gladly make you a "simplified" box-pleat (as I'm sure will some of our other talented kilt makers). He did this one for me in 18 oz. Harris tweed tartan:

The pleats are sewn down only a couple of inches, it has a minimal raw silk lining, unhemmed apron edges, and is pleated to the "random." It closes with tape ties on the (external) right side, and I "cheated" with an internal buckle-and-strap arrangement on the left. Very comfy to wear!
    That is possibly the most beautiful cloth/tartan/kilt I've seen to date. I'm guessing was a custom weave?
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, to echo the others, the philabeg is what you want.

But to address the question of how today's traditional kilt evolved from the original belted plaid, I would guess there are thousands of theories. It doesn't take much pondering to understand why they separated it into two pieces (today's "kilt" and "plaid" being separate instead of one single piece of cloth). This was for convenience and versatility.

But as for the construction of today's traditional kilt, I would guess that it evolved over time as people got sick and tired of having sloppy pleats, or having the top of their kilt slip out from under their belt and go haywire. Sewing down the fell keeps everything put together in a tidy manner, and helps it conform to your body from the top (waist) down to just above the widest point of your buttocks. This is extremely useful in avoiding constant readjustment, as well as ensuring a consistent fit every time you put it on. And the straps, of course, make it easy to put on and wear without relying on a separate belt.

It's really the combination of the sewed-down fell and the straps/buckles that make the kilt a well-tailored garment that really fits the owner. If it were just a random piece of cloth, gathered with a rope and cinched down by an exterior belt, it can easily get out of whack and look sloppy. So the tailoring of the kilt probably evolved in order to make it a more wearable garment.

I don't find that the stitched fell limits my movement in any way. Maybe it just feels different to you if you're used to it being simply draped from your waist down? But all the moving parts seem to be below the fell, so I'm not quite sure how that would restrict movement. Are you sure your kilt is custom-made to your body, with the proper fell length?
    Well said sir, I agree completely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    That is possibly the most beautiful cloth/tartan/kilt I've seen to date. I'm guessing was a custom weave?
    No, it was just some nice fabric Matt had on hand at the time. It's sort of a Grant/Drummond (I think!). Apparently Harris tweed can now be had in a variety of tartan setts.
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I see one of these Harris tweed kilts in a tartan-esque pattern, I like it more and more. There's something 'warm' about it. I guess maybe the pattern is a little bit more muted or 'softer' than standard woven wool tartan. You don't see the distinct twill pattern as individual threads. The tartan pattern just seems like it transitions from colour to colour more gently. It gives the overall appearance a more historical, rugged look that I love!

A tartan tweed kilt is definitely on my list of wants, thanks to guys like Matt and Brian. You guys are not helping my pocketbook!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I see one of these Harris tweed kilts in a tartan-esque pattern, I like it more and more. There's something 'warm' about it. I guess maybe the pattern is a little bit more muted or 'softer' than standard woven wool tartan. You don't see the distinct twill pattern as individual threads. The tartan pattern just seems like it transitions from colour to colour more gently. It gives the overall appearance a more historical, rugged look that I love!

A tartan tweed kilt is definitely on my list of wants, thanks to guys like Matt and Brian. You guys are not helping my pocketbook!!!
    Hahaha! Not helping mine either, Tobus! I have become quite fond of the Harris tweed kilts as well. You are right, there is something definitely 'warm,' and also 'inviting' with these style of kilts. The fabric is simply gorgeous, and does have that unique 'ruggedness' that reminds me of the rocky crags, desolate moors, and the heath of the Scottish Highlands. The historical aspect is present as well, which I imagine is why this particular fabric was chosen.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with you fellows, on the tweed. The look and hard-wearing nature of it appeals to me greatly, and I've worn a tweed kilt before, so I know I like the feel.

...think I'll eventually have either some of my tartan, or the Ross hunting woven up in muted colors in tweed. Just four yards. Sounds like a winner to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast