X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWI Pleating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWI Pleating

Does anyone out there know exactly how a WWI Military Kilt was pleated? I have come across two options either rolled or boxed. I didnt know if there was correct answer to this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Mac

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: WWI Pleating

I stand to be corrected here, but I seem to recall that some units had a different method of pleating. No doubt military kilt experts will chip before long.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th January 12 at 07:54 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I stand to be corrected here, but I seem to recall that some units had a different method of pleating. No doubt military kilt expert will chip before long.
    Like you I am not an expert on the matter but I believe that the two regiments who used the Government Sett, had their kilts pleated differently (in terms of stripe and sett), with the Black Watch pleated to the sett and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders pleated to the stripe. I believe the new Royal Regiment of Scotland follow the Argylls practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Watch - knife pleated
    A&S - box pleated
    Gordons - knife pleated
    Seaforths - box pleated
    Camerons - box pleated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the information. The WWI reenacting unit that I joined uses Black Watch an from the original pictures we could tell that there kilts were pleated to the stripe but couldn't tell what type of pleats they were.
    This brings up the next question 16oz or 18oz wool? Again these are to tell from the images and searches on the web don't provide much detail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    Thank you for the information. The WWI reenacting unit that I joined uses Black Watch an from the original pictures we could tell that there kilts were pleated to the stripe but couldn't tell what type of pleats they were.
    This brings up the next question 16oz or 18oz wool? Again these are to tell from the images and searches on the web don't provide much detail.
    During the WWI timeframe, I believe they were using 22oz tartan for military kilts.
    Repros available here:

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1671&bc=no
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Martin's book on the History of the Kilt has the answers and pictures etc.

The BW used to wear a Barrel (Reverse box) Pleat but I think that that came in slightly later.

At whatever date I thought all BW kilts were pleated to stripe?? Again, Bob's the man to ask.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Bob Martin's book on the History of the Kilt has the answers and pictures etc.

The BW used to wear a Barrel (Reverse box) Pleat but I think that that came in slightly later.

At whatever date I thought all BW kilts were pleated to stripe?? Again, Bob's the man to ask.
    All Black Watch kilts were pleated to the stripe. The Black Watch regiment pleated their kilts to show more blue (every pleat centered on a pair of black lines), while the A&S pleated their kilts to show more green (every pleat centered on the single black line).

Also, prior to the 1980s (I want to say 1984), the tartan for the A&S was woven with a lighter shade of green, which was another way of distinguishing the two regiments. But after that date, the two made their kilts from the same color tartan, so the only way to distinguish was from the pleating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    Also, prior to the 1980s (I want to say 1984), the tartan for the A&S was woven with a lighter shade of green, which was another way of distinguishing the two regiments. But after that date, the two made their kilts from the same color tartan, so the only way to distinguish was from the pleating.

I've also read (somewhere) that BW officer's kilts were a slightly lighter shade than the other ranks. Is this true or just another kilt myth?
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Adjutant, Post 2, Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so when then did BW change from being pleated from the blue section to the green section with single blue stripe? I own a military BW kilt from around the 30-40's, and it pleated to the green stripe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast