X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveScott View Post
    I’ve been pondering on the question of wearing a kilt to a funeral, and whether appropriate or not.

I have worn a kilt to a funeral recently, that of my sister-in-laws father, who was NZ born but with Scots ancestry. I thought it appropriate to wear a kilt to respect that shared link. Glad I did as there were three young pipers all in kilts and it added to the sense of celebration of those links.

More recently I went to an evening vigil the night before the funeral of the father of one of my sister’s very close colleagues. She was delighted to see me wearing a kilt and very much took it as a mark of respect which was intended. As I couldn’t make the funeral the following day I was hopeful some of my brothers who were attending would wear their kilts. Alas not and I think an opportunity missed.

I understand is a matter where everyone is looking to do what they see as respectful. Down here in New Zealand so far from Scotland my sense is wearing kilts to a funeral of someone with that shared ancestry is viewed as a positive acknowledgement and is warmly welcomed.

My kind regards to all who have had recent bereavements to attend.
    I think context is important. The woman whose funeral I attended in my previous post was an 8 o'clocker (we go to the 10am service) and, unfortunately, I didn't know her as well as I'd have liked. Also, I wear my kilt on Sunday, not to every church event so she likely never saw me kilted, except maybe on Easter.

On the other hand, there is a retired bishop and his wife who share a pew with us and he loves my kilt and takes every opportunity to comment on it. If he were pass away, hopefully many, many years from now, I expect he and his wife wouldn't mind me wearing it to the service. Not to say I would, it's just that the circumstances are slightly different as I know them better.

Of course, I think it's also important to not get so wrapped up in kilt wearing that it would pain you not to wear it. I'm just as content to wear a suit to funerals and it's nice to know that it is always appropriate. Gray suit, black necktie, black shoes, white shirt. Easy and correct.

Panache, I'm sorry if I derailed your original thread! I was mostly pointing out that I don't wear the kilt on St Patrick's because of the erroneous connection people make!
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 10th April 19 at 04:49 PM.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always need to be cautious when we say that "they seemed pleased" or "they didn't say anything about it." As the priest I sometimes hear a couple of months later about things that offend people.

That doesn't mean always, it just means that they won't say anything at the time - they'll tell me later.

Just for... awareness.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post

Panache, I'm sorry if I derailed your original thread! I was mostly pointing out that I don't wear the kilt on St Patrick's because of the erroneous connection people make!

That's perfectly fine.

I was sharing an amusing, yet true, story.

That it turned into a gentle reminder of the importance of showing respect to others at important moments of their lives is certainly a productive and worthwhile one.

As the person who was one of the people behind setting up this particular subform, I can say that I think Craig would have been delighted to see laughter turned into a positive sharing and learning.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    That's perfectly fine.

I was sharing an amusing, yet true, story.

That it turned into a gentle reminder of the importance of showing respect to others at important moments of their lives is certainly a productive and worthwhile one.

As the person who was one of the people behind setting up this particular subform, I can say that I think Craig would have been delighted to see laughter turned into a positive sharing and learning.

Cheers

Jamie
    Well back to your original post. It got me thinking of a thread a while back where a fella wanted to wear a flat cap and irish clan badge with his kilt to honor his irish as well as scottish heritage. I mentioned that one probably wouldn't wear an alpen hat with a kilt.

I had actually thought of taking a photo with a my kilt, a gingham shirt, the elastic edelweiss suspenders with clips they always sell at Oktoberfest, and my alpen hat! Just for fun to show how bad the look would be. I decided not to because I was afraid of killing poor Jock ;)

That's a nice outfit in your OP btw. I say that as a member of the German American Society of San Diego! I can't believe you found the jacket at a thrift store.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have come a little late to this thread but, looking at Panache’s outfit, I am not surprised that people would think this was Irish and, I am afraid to say, is the unmistakeable resemblance to everyone’s vision of a - Leprechaun. Just stay away from pots of gold but keep up the shoe-mending.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123