X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: tartan lengths

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tartan lengths

I'm so out of my league here that I struggled to even find a proper title for this post. But I'm looking to find out how much a length of tartan (in muted MacPherson to match my wonderful B&S kilt) would cost. My idea is that it could be used as a day plaid, but would spend most of its life warming my lovely lass as a blanket of sorts.
    Do the fine folks at B&S sell such things? Has anyone ever ordered the like? Any suggestions? I reckon I should have just called or emailed them directly, but I always like to hear what the Rabble has to say.

yers aye,
    -Eric-

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I'm so out of my league here that I struggled to even find a proper title for this post. But I'm looking to find out how much a length of tartan (in muted MacPherson to match my wonderful B&S kilt) would cost. My idea is that it could be used as a day plaid, but would spend most of its life warming my lovely lass as a blanket of sorts.
    Do the fine folks at B&S sell such things? Has anyone ever ordered the like? Any suggestions? I reckon I should have just called or emailed them directly, but I always like to hear what the Rabble has to say.

yers aye,
    -Eric-
    I suspect your kilt is made from House of Edgar fabric, since they are one of the few mills that weaves in the muted color scheme. I'm sure B and S can order the fabric you need. You might want to either fringe or bind the two raw, cut edges. The selvedge edges will take care of themselves! The nice thing is if you buy enough yardage you could always have it made into another kilt or kilt skirt.

David
    Last edited by davidlpope; 1st December 10 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click the link above and follow the buttons for the cloth you are looking for.
    Last edited by xman; 1st December 10 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    Click the link above for Scotweb or the Scottish Tartan museum and follow the buttons for the cloth you are looking for. I believe both prices are comparable.
    Thanks for the leads, lads. It looks like I have more homework to do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post

yers aye,
    -Eric-
    Hello Eric,

We do sell tartan by the meter or yard we also sell like fly plaids or shawls which would suit the purpose you are looking for. The price per yard based on what you are looking for would be $128 per meter from House of Edgar in 13 ounce but we also have 16 ounce double wide which we could sell you at a special price if interested. Please email or PM for this price and let me know how much cloth you would need keeping in mind it is 54" wide.

The 16 ounce isn't a stock weight this was a special weave and you would need to get it specially weaved again by any other retailers.

Thanks,
    Brandon
    North America's Premier Kilt Makers and Tartan Suppliers.
    Visit our Online store at www.burnetts-struth.com
    Call us Toll-Free at 1-877-828-3232 (North America only)
    Email us by clicking here. Twitter - @burnettsnstruth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, Brandon. I'm glad you could reply here so other can see what you have to offer. I'll be in touch.