X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if you could edit the title of this thread? Dress tartan is not fail. How can you not love Dress Turnbull?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you really call this a "fail"?

'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, well, in the title what I meant was the idea of dress tartans seems to have failed to catch on in mainstream kilt-wearing circles (not that wearing a dress tartan means you have failed as a human being or that all dress tartans are failures). The point being that, like Rocky illustrated, dress tartans are very rarely requested.

I changed the title of the thread, though. I hope no one took offense or misunderstood it.

I do like the looks of the dress tartans you have shown so far in this thread, though! Some dress tartans look very nice. The pics posted thus far seem to show a nice blend of color with the addition of reasonable amounts of whites.

Some of the designs I've seen, though, seem to be just plain awful. The Colquhoun dress tartan just makes me scratch my head and wonder, "What were they thinking? Did they really think people would wear this?" They took a perfectly nice and traditional tartan design and ran huge white bands through it, throwing off all sense of symmetry and balance between colors. Maybe it would look better when seen in actual wool tartan, completed in a kilt. But I'd think a kilt-maker would have nightmares trying to lay out the pleats.

http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tart...an_id=1069.htm

*edited to add: Apparently the system won't let me change the thread title that displays in the forum. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixiecat View Post
    ... How can you not love Dress Turnbull?
    I do not believe that I have seen Dress Turnbull before. I have to agree, it is quite an attractive tartan!

I think it is a bit unusual though for a 'dress' tartan in that it does not have the usual large white stripes (or other light color). As such, I would guess that this tartan may not be as good for dancing? My understanding for dancing is that you want/need large contrasting colors. On the plus side, being as attractive as it is, it might make it more popular for general wear.
    Michael the Farlander

Loch Sloy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Vermont state tartan is very like a dress tartan and is gorgeous! I am on a several year wait for a Dress Ross Hunting kilt. It is a really nice tartan too. It really is just what you like. I like the Dress Ross Hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't call Dress Tartan a 'fail' because they are great looking tartans.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulloch View Post
    The Vermont state tartan is very like a dress tartan and is gorgeous! I am on a several year wait for a Dress Ross Hunting kilt. It is a really nice tartan too. It really is just what you like. I like the Dress Ross Hunting.
    That's because there is a Vermont Dress tartan, and a regular tartan tae boot:

http://www.standrewssocietyofvermont.org/

:mrgreen:

T.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    That being said, MacLeod of Lewis (aka Loud MacLeod) is also known as MacLeod Dress. It has no white, but is still called a 'dress' tartan by some.
    Rocky,

I'm pretty sure that is just a myth perpetuated by those of Macleod of Lewis heritage that are looking for an excuse to wear the Macleod of Harris tartan instead of their own.

Cheers

Jamie :ootd:
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good photo of the chief of Clan MacPherson wearing what may be considered a "dress" tartan (it has a light-colored background). My opinion is that this particular tartan falls into a distinct subset of tartans that are now referred to as "dress tartans" that seem to have started out as full-fledged, albeit bright, regular tartans (e.g. MacMillan, Barclay, Macleod of Lewis). These seem to be to be distinct from "dress" tartans that were created by added white to a pre-existing clan tartan.

Cordially,

David

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Rocky,

I'm pretty sure that is just a myth perpetuated by those of Macleod of Lewis heritage that are looking for an excuse to wear the Macleod of Harris tartan instead of their own.

Cheers

Jamie :ootd:
    No no Jamie you have it all wrong. The MacLeod of Lewis(Lewes) is the dress tartan of the senior Clan( Chief MacLeod of MacLeod) MacLeod of Harris. In other words the MacLeods of Harris are the one's with the choice!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd February 10 at 03:03 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast