X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amazing variation in anc hunting Fraser

One of the top pipe bands in the world wears the Ancient Hunting Fraser tartan. Their kilts are lovely. What really jumps out is the brilliant blue. The pleats show this blue across the back.

When I searched the internet for images of this tartan, I was amazed at how different the nominally same tartan looks from weaver to weaver.

This version is like that pipe band's kilts. Note that the blue shines out, and the brown is subdued:

But in many other fabrics the brown predominates. Here's how many look, from a distance a mint green and brown tartan:

Goes to show you can't just order a tartan by name and expect to have any idea what the kilt will look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very True OC Richard! What I find even more amazing is the differences in shading within the same mill for different weight materials. Mill to mill differences are more understandable to me due to all of the variables relative to dye suppliers, wool grades etc. It seems though that the same tartan by the same mill, only in different weights, would be much more similar to each other than some of the examples I have seen. (Lochcarron's Macmillan Old Weathered Reiver vs Strome for example). My only uneducated guess was that perhaps the lighter weight fabrics, being targeted at ladies skirts, may reflect a palate more in line with their tastes. Again, a purely uneducated guess based on the pinkish lavender stripe of the Reiver example. If I can endure the wait, I will hopefully follow the advise of many on this site and get swatches before making a purchase.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are two photos of the Boghall and Bathgate Pipe Band showing their lovely Ancient Hunting Fraser kilts. Note how the blue predominates; if asked to quickly identify the band I'd likely say "that band over there in the blue kilts".

Since Fraser has equal stripes of blue and green, it must be that the green stripes in their kilts is somewhat bluish and blends with the blue stripes at distance.

But with one of the swatches above the green is a more pure green, blending with the blue at distance to create mint green, so that the tartan at distance looks brown and mint.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macmillan's son View Post
    Very True OC Richard! What I find even more amazing is the differences in shading within the same mill for different weight materials. Mill to mill differences are more understandable to me due to all of the variables relative to dye suppliers, wool grades etc. It seems though that the same tartan by the same mill, only in different weights, would be much more similar to each other than some of the examples I have seen. (Lochcarron's Macmillan Old Weathered Reiver vs Strome for example). My only uneducated guess was that perhaps the lighter weight fabrics, being targeted at ladies skirts, may reflect a palate more in line with their tastes. Again, a purely uneducated guess based on the pinkish lavender stripe of the Reiver example. If I can endure the wait, I will hopefully follow the advise of many on this site and get swatches before making a purchase.
    Are you comparing swatches of actual tartan here or looking at internet photos? There are subtle differences in LC's Reiver and Strome shades, but I suspect that what you're seeing is more the result of differences of the light conditions, etc. when the photos were taken.

Your conclusion, though, is right on. Always order swatches before making a tartan choice.

David