X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Navajo Medicine Man's Tartan Headband

I work for the Navajo Nation as an alcoholism counselor. Our agency is moving to a new, larger facility. Only it used to be an assisted living center for what the Navajo call "Elderlies." Most who lived there were moved to the local hospital before they died, but some died there. So in Traditional Navajo thinking the building needed to be cleansed by a Navajo Medicine Man.

That happened today. No photos due to the traditional prohibition of same. The Medicine Man showed up with what prooved to be heavy "Juju" and did a three hour long cleansing. When he first arrived and opened his cedar box of tools the took out a tartan headband and wore it throughout the cleansing ceremony.

I was amazed! - is a small small world. I've been to other ceremonies by other medicine men but always saw them wear plain colored headbands.

This tartan wasn't one I could identify, and I suspect it was a fashion tartan of some sort. Was red with white and black rails.

Amazed at the acceptance of tartan that we'd find it in a most holy cleansing ceremony.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 19th February 13 at 07:15 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Cowichan Valley 48 39' 1" N 123 34' 54" W
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youre a truly a luck guy. Cleansing ceremonies are great thing to be part of.