X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Scottish Wildcat Tartan thread: conceived here on X-Marks!

For those of you who don't know, Scotland is home to its own wildcat! The Scottish Wildcat is related to the European Wildcat, but distinct from the African Wildcat, which is the most likely candidate for the "original species" from which was derived the common housecat. The Scottish Wildcat has been prowling the Highlands and Lowlands since the glaciers receded from the last ice-age, but between hunting, loss of habitat, and now, competition and cross-breeding with feral housecats, the pure Scottish Wildcat is EXTREMELY endangered. When I say "endangered", I mean that current estimates of the number of purebreed Scottish Wildcats is somewhere between 350 and 35. There is much discussion and...well, arguing....between Wildcat biologists about the precise number, but without any doubt, the species is on the absolute brink of extinction. The primary threat to the species is interbreeding with feral housecats, as the number of escaped/released "wild moggies" is probably a thousand-fold greater than the Wildcat population.

Here's a Scottish Wildcat:

and another:

In the "Wildcat Thread" in the Miscellaneous forum, it occurred to me that if there could be a Capercaillie tartan that supports habitat restoration for the Capercaillie, then why couldn't there be a "Scottish Wildcat Tartan" to do the same thing for the cats? A percentage of the proceeds from Capercaillie Tartan (woven by Locharron) sales go to the Royal Society for the Preservation of Birds. Perhaps a percentage of proceeds of a Wildcat Tartancould go to Wildcat Haven (http://www.wildcathaven.co.uk/index.html) an organization devoted to setting up an area where wildcats don't find feral housecats to breed with, instead of other Wildcats.

My idea is to A.) find a tartan designer who would design a tartan based on the colors of the cats B.) find a mill who will weave the tartan C.) find enough lads and lasses who are interested in the project who would actually purchase enough tartan to get the project rolling, and D.) get some support to Wildcat Haven, and raise awareness both in Scotland and around the world, of the Wildcats plight.

Note that this thread will be about THE TARTAN, not about the cats themselves, or wildcat research, or arguing about whose population numbers are right, or which Clan is most closely associated with the Wildcat, or what percentage of the proceeds should go to Wildcat Haven. This thread is about the TARTAN: design, manufacture, distribution and so on. It can also be a place where the finished product, as well as kilts and waistcoats or whatever, may be displayed. While I can't think of any way to "disguise" the fact that the point of the tartan is to help the Wildcats, so as to avoid conflict with Rule #10, I'd like to keep all the discussion in this thread about the tartan itself. That means no discussion about the "cause" of saving the Cats, or other environmental issues.

If you'd like to discuss the plight of the animals themselves, or the population biology science behind current estimates, or related Scottish environmental issues, I encourage you to visit the Wildcat thread in the Miscellaneous forum. THIS thread is about the tartan.

Check in here for updates!
    Last edited by Alan H; 24th August 14 at 12:59 PM.

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    News on the Scottish Wildcat Tartan front- I've heard back from Paul at Wildcat Haven and they are interested in the project. He's even gone so far as to read through the thread in the Miscellaneous forum and is encouraged by the awareness and interest. They'd like to talk on the phone.

I've also heard back from Moira at Knockando, but their response is a bit more direct and -- "let's talk", which is only natural.

The issue is, of course, that I'm in the United States and the Haven and Knockando are in Scotland. TransAtlantic calls are a bit pricey! However, if we get a few more go 'rounds of e-mail and things start sounding good, I'll pick up the telephone. Note that while I really like the whole idea of Knockando Woolen Mill producing the tartan, we're not committed to that mill, nor are they in any way committed to the project. I'll be asking Dalgliesh and Robin Elliot of Andrew Elliot Weavers Ltd. about the project as well.

My concept is that the tartan will be based on the natural colors of the cat. Looking at the pictures above, and others...

and

and

you can get a pretty good idea of the color palette of the tartan.

I've edited this thread to remove references to what the tartan might cost. At a later date it may be possible to list that here on X Marks, but I suspect that when it comes to dollars and pounds, I'll be referring people to whomever winds up marketing the fabric.

Responding here is not a commitment, it's an expression of "significant interest" in the tartan. I'd like to be upfront here and say that nobody has to be keen on the whole Wildcat issue to be interested in a tartan designed around the animals colors. They're beautiful animals, and obviously the color palette has the potential to be the basis for a stunning, but yet subtle tartan. OK, "significant interest" means that you're aware of how much a custom run of any tartan may cost and you really like the idea of a tartan created around this color palette, and you might actually be willing to spend that sort of money on a length of tartan.

Hey, maybe you'd like a waistcoat instead? That's great, too. Maybe you won't want one, but you know six friends in the Clans Chattan Association who absolutely will want 4 yards. Great!

OK, let's get this straight, eh? This post is about inquiring regarding INTEREST IN A TARTAN. It's not a solicitation for donations to any cause...Wildcat-oriented, environment-oriented, or anything else. It's about a TARTAN. Obviously there's a link between the tartan and the Cats, but once again, this thread is about THE TARTAN, not the Cats themselves.
    Last edited by Alan H; 24th August 14 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Rule #10

4. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan H is "committed" for 4 yards. In other words, if this tartan becomes reality, and 10% or more of the proceeds go to Wildcat Haven, I'm IN for 4 yards as long as the cost is <$90 a yard. Not "significant interest", I'm committed.

But that's obvious... -

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan,

Would you please consider re-wording the description of this project. As you are currently describing it, you could be skirting very close to a Rule #10 issue.

While I applaud your sentiment and your commitment the way you are wording this is very close to other 'good causes' that we have had to deny because the post solicited funds.

Believe me that it is not the cause which is at issue. It is that you state that a part of the proceeds go to support your cause and then ask for a commitment of funds from the membership.

It's almost 5:00 am here and my brain is fuzzy so I'm sorry I can't suggest a good way to re-word this. I wish you would consider an edit though.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plea to members of the Clan Colquhoun to support a tartan fashioned after the Scottish wild cat. These lovely creatures are also found in the Trossachs Park along with another endangered animal the Capercailzie. Both animals have similar colors and documented as inhabitants of the Loch Lomond area. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capercailzie.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	21276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wild cat.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	21277

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am working on a design and have sent a preliminary idea over to Alan to see what he thinks, details to follow.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, Great idea, Alan! I'll see what I can come up with as well.

ith:

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to artificer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will in fact do a bit of editing to increase the "distance" between this project and Rule # 10.... Thanks, Steve!

================================================== ==================

NOTE: it's impossible to "break the link" between the "cause" and the tartan but I've put in some work to focus this thread on the tartan itself. To future respondants in the thread.... obviously you will be aware of the purpose of the tartan, but I ask you to PLEASE remove any discussion of the Cats themselves, Clan interest in the Cats, Wildcat Haven, or any sort of monetary contribution to this cause to PM's or to the Miscellaneous forum. This thread needs to stay in-line with the focus of X Marks, which is on Kilts. So tell us about how much you love the color palette! When the project moves along, chime in on the tartan itself. Express excitement about the weaving, show us your fabric, show us your finished kilt or waistcoat. ALL GOOD....

--> But remove other discussion to PM's or the Miscellaneous forum. Thanks!!! Alan H.
    Last edited by Alan H; 24th August 14 at 01:18 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood. Such a magnificent animal, just as a proud clan, deserves its own tartan . . . and a grand tartan it could be. The brown, beige, white and gray-black provide a beautiful palette to work from. In weathered hues it's a natural.

Wonderful idea, Alan.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, Alan!
    Last edited by Mael Coluim; 25th August 14 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast