X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan of the Month - Aug 12: What do you see?

As I said last month, this will be the last Tartan of the Month teaser and I've got something extra special. By now you should have got the hang of this and be able to work through much of it without too much help . So, what do you see and what can you deduce?

Oh, and there's one person that can't play as they have inside knowledge. You know who you are.

Last edited by figheadair; 12th August 12 at 09:06 AM.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. At first glance it appears to be symmetrical, but the thin (2-thread?) white line on the edge of the red-guarded blue stripe make it evidently otherwise. Curiously, this line is on the right in the first two (leftmost) repeats, but on the left edge of the rightmost, while all of the three horizontal repeats shown have it on the top edge. Very strange.
    The colors make it appear to be either very old or an "ancient" reproduction, with the general appearance (as well as your previous entries) suggesting the former. Also notable are the shape of the left side, the repair?, seam? or pulled thread? on the right side and the two tabs? at the top and bottom center.
    The constancy of the fringe depth suggests that the shape is no accident and has something to do with the use of the piece.
    I'll contemplate while those with far more knowledge and experience chime in.
    BTW, I have enjoyed these exercises in the short time I've been here and participating. Thank you for the effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably way off base, but this looks like it was once a pocket.
    Scotland is only 1/5 the size of Montana, but Scotland has over 3,000 castles and Montana has none.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldybrown View Post
    I'm probably way off base, but this looks like it was once a pocket.
    The shape might suggest that so it's not completely off the scale as an idea but for the size. The piece is about 18 inches wide as viewed.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,

Some good initial observations.

Interesting. At first glance it appears to be symmetrical, but the thin (2-thread?) white line on the edge of the red-guarded blue stripe make it evidently otherwise. Curiously, this line is on the right in the first two (leftmost) repeats, but on the left edge of the rightmost, while all of the three horizontal repeats shown have it on the top edge. Very strange.
    So why might that be?

The colors make it appear to be either very old or an "ancient" reproduction, with the general appearance (as well as your previous entries) suggesting the former.
    I'm not known for doing modern

The constancy of the fringe depth suggests that the shape is no accident and has something to do with the use of the piece.
    That's a reasonable deduction. I wonder what others will make of it?
    Last edited by figheadair; 12th August 12 at 10:35 PM.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why might that be?
    Could it possibly be a (gasp) weaving error?

On the subject of use... I know nothing about how bagpipe bag covers are constructed, but the shape might work for that?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thorpe View Post
    Could it possibly be a (gasp) weaving error?
    No.

On the subject of use... I know nothing about how bagpipe bag covers are constructed, but the shape might work for that?
    No holes for the drones etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6" sett size then. There appears to be some stains of soot or something dark.

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it may have been part of a joined plaid as I see what looks to be a stitch line running from top to bottom on the left.

Then the shape looks like the fabric may have been converted to a modern womans skirt and this is a pleat cutout from the interior of the skirt under the waistband.
    Last edited by Harold Cannon; 13th August 12 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shape and size makes me think of a pipe banner, but I've never seen one in tartan before.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast