X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    27th October 09
    Location
    Kerrville, Texas
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tartan scrap IDs

    I recently received a bunch of tartan scraps that Barb T. was getting rid of. I'm planning some craft projects with them (patchwork blankets and/or quilts, for starters), but I first want to identify the tartans. There are a lot of them! I'll post a few at a time for IDs, then move on a few more at a time. So please check back on this thread if you're able and willing to help.

    Here are the first three:






  2. #2
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I recently received a bunch of tartan scraps that Barb T. was getting rid of. I'm planning some craft projects with them (patchwork blankets and/or quilts, for starters), but I first want to identify the tartans. There are a lot of them! I'll post a few at a time for IDs, then move on a few more at a time. So please check back on this thread if you're able and willing to help.

    Here are the first three:


    Sutherland - VS (1842).


    MacLachlan - Logan (1831)

    Skinner - Interesting story about this one. According to the STA records is was:

    A tartan worn by a John Skinner in 1941. John was born in Dundee in 1873 and his father was a warehouseman in Baxters Mills in Dundee before the family emigrated to the USA in 1880. John's grandson (John H Beach of Yonkers, New York) sought to have the tartan identified by the Tartans Society in 1997 but there was no match so John named it the 'Skinner' in honour of his grandfather and it was recorded as such by Tartans Society. Not before obtaining permission from the Wallace Chief however since the tartan is very close to the Wallace.

  3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    27th October 09
    Location
    Kerrville, Texas
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! I figured those first two would be common. The third one did confuse me with its similarity to Wallace; I'm glad you knew the story behind it. Thank you.

    Now on to the next three. These are from smaller rippings, but I think I've captured enough to see the full sett.






  5. #4
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Excellent! I figured those first two would be common. The third one did confuse me with its similarity to Wallace; I'm glad you knew the story behind it. Thank you.

    Now on to the next three. These are from smaller rippings, but I think I've captured enough to see the full sett.


    Davidson


    Stewart, Old (Weathered Colours)

    Drummond/Grant - a rather poor rendition with an untypically narrow blue bar.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    23rd March 19
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Excellent! I figured those first two would be common. The third one did confuse me with its similarity to Wallace; I'm glad you knew the story behind it. Thank you.

    Now on to the next three. These are from smaller rippings, but I think I've captured enough to see the full sett.





    third one is Grant.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    27th October 09
    Location
    Kerrville, Texas
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you again! Next batch:






  8. #7
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    third one is Grant.
    Or Drummond, or New Bruce 😉.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Thank you again! Next batch:


    MacGillivray.


    It's modern, one ot the 'Pride of'/'Spirit of" type designs. Will need to check my Db tomorrow.

    Ogilvie Hunting

  10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    23rd March 19
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Or Drummond, or New Bruce 😉.

    while that's technically correct, I'm a Grant so I call it 'Grant'. If I called it anything else my Grandad would rise up and have something to say to me. And then he'd see my wearing a gingham shirt under my jacket and roll his eyes and call me a dandy.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    4th November 16
    Location
    US
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    t's modern, one ot the 'Pride of'/'Spirit of" type designs. Will need to check my Db tomorrow.
    Close. It's Scottish American.

  13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0