X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Two New Mexico Tartans - Clarification

And hope this clarifies - not starts controversy.

The fact that there are two claims to the New Mexico state tartan came up on the Arizona tartan thread.

Knew Kathy Lare was involved with one New Mexico state tartan so asked her what the deal was. Here's her response.

"Yes, there are two NM tartans, the NM Land of Enchantment tartan and the New
    Mexico tartan. Our St. Andrew Scottish Society of NM sponsored a contest
    back in the 90's with the go ahead from then Gov. Johnson to take
    submissions for a state tartan. 31 submissions were received and a vote was
    taken. The winner [NM Land of Enchantment] is a tarttan designed by Polly Whittering, designer for the House of Edgar and also designer of the Irish County tartans. I was head of the Tartan Committee and held the tartan on my account with the House of Edgar because no one else had the knowledge to work with Scotland/or the funds.

When we took our winning tartan to the legislature we had a
    disgruntled challenger who also vied to have his NM tartan made official. A
    known trouble causer and maverick Ralph Stevenson proceeded to play dirty
    politics with our legislature. Our tartan passed as official in the House of
    Reps and went on to the Senate. While they were deciding the vote Mr.
    Stevenson stood up and answered a question as to why there were two tartan
    claiming, " Kathy Lare has an unrequited love for me". Needless to say the
    Senate Rules Committee walked out on us and tabled the issue. Stevenson's
    tartan was woven with polyviscose fabric and not authentic Scottish wool. He
    has tried to promote it vigorously with out much success and actually has
    angered many who paid a high price for the kilts.

I have made a bolt's worth of kilts and sashes from the NM Land of Enchantment tartan."

Just her opinion - not sure if anyone knows Mr. Stevenson's version.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I looked into that and couldn't really understand what was going on. It sounds like neither are official, as in the State government says "this is the State tartan." Thanks for posting that,, Ron.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    And hope this clarifies - not starts controversy.

The fact that there are two claims to the New Mexico state tartan came up on the Arizona tartan thread.

Knew Kathy Lare was involved with one New Mexico state tartan so asked her what the deal was. Here's her response.

"Yes, there are two NM tartans, the NM Land of Enchantment tartan and the New
    Mexico tartan. Our St. Andrew Scottish Society of NM sponsored a contest
    back in the 90's with the go ahead from then Gov. Johnson to take
    submissions for a state tartan. 31 submissions were received and a vote was
    taken. The winner [NM Land of Enchantment] is a tarttan designed by Polly Whittering, designer for the House of Edgar and also designer of the Irish County tartans. I was head of the Tartan Committee and held the tartan on my account with the House of Edgar because no one else had the knowledge to work with Scotland/or the funds.

When we took our winning tartan to the legislature we had a
    disgruntled challenger who also vied to have his NM tartan made official. A
    known trouble causer and maverick Ralph Stevenson proceeded to play dirty
    politics with our legislature. Our tartan passed as official in the House of
    Reps and went on to the Senate. While they were deciding the vote Mr.
    Stevenson stood up and answered a question as to why there were two tartan
    claiming, " Kathy Lare has an unrequited love for me". Needless to say the
    Senate Rules Committee walked out on us and tabled the issue. Stevenson's
    tartan was woven with polyviscose fabric and not authentic Scottish wool. He
    has tried to promote it vigorously with out much success and actually has
    angered many who paid a high price for the kilts.

I have made a bolt's worth of kilts and sashes from the NM Land of Enchantment tartan."

Just her opinion - not sure if anyone knows Mr. Stevenson's version.
    I actually have a sample of the Stevenson NM tartan that was sent to me by "the man himself". Tattoobradley was kind enough to send me a swatch of the Land of Enchantment tartan a couple of years ago for a display I was working on of US state tartans.

Stevenson also designed a tartan for the City of Albuquerque in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Ya, I looked into that and couldn't really understand what was going on. It sounds like neither are official, as in the State government says "this is the State tartan." Thanks for posting that,, Ron.
    It was my understanding that Stevenson's tartan was officially recognized by the NM Legislature, Ted. He used to have the official resolutions displayed on his web page, which is down gone thanks to the demise of Geocities. I did note that the STA says in the ITI that it has not been officially adopted, so there seems to be some confusion in that regard.

Here is a photo I took of my swatch of the Stevenson NM tartan:

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the New Mexico Secretary of State issued a proclamation confirming that Stevenson's "New Mexico" tartan was the "official" state tartan in 2003. Not really the same as getting approved by the House of Reps and Senate, IMHO. I knew there were two tartans, but never knew there was a big political story about them!

Be that as it may, I've always liked the more subtle "Land of Enchantment" tartan best. As someone who's traveled to, and all over New Mexico many, many times in his life, mostly by motorcycle, I have a real love of the place, really second only to Texas. So I would be proud to wear the Land of Enchantment tartan.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    It seems the New Mexico Secretary of State issued a proclamation confirming that Stevenson's "New Mexico" tartan was the "official" state tartan in 2003. Not really the same as getting approved by the House of Reps and Senate, IMHO. I knew there were two tartans, but never knew there was a big political story about them!

Be that as it may, I've always liked the more subtle "Land of Enchantment" tartan best. As someone who's traveled to, and all over New Mexico many, many times in his life, mostly by motorcycle, I have a real love of the place, really second only to Texas. So I would be proud to wear the Land of Enchantment tartan.
    Mark, do you know if the images of the SOS proclamation are still around somewhere on the 'net? Since Geocities closed down, I haven't been able to find them.

Normally it would take a vote of the legislature for the SOS to recognize a new official symbol of a state.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Mark, do you know if the images of the SOS proclamation are still around somewhere on the 'net? Since Geocities closed down, I haven't been able to find them.

Normally it would take a vote of the legislature for the SOS to recognize a new official symbol of a state.

T.
    No, I don't know of any, I have not seen any "official" documents in my brief look-around on this.

I've seen this; http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar....aspx?ref=3116

and this; http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar....aspx?ref=3115

Many places that mention the NM state tartan(s) note that neither has been recognized officially by the New Mexico State legistature;

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/New_M...NewMexico.html
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    No, I don't know of any, I have not seen any "official" documents in my brief look-around on this.

I've seen this; http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar....aspx?ref=3116

and this; http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar....aspx?ref=3115

Many places that mention the NM state tartan(s) note that neither has been recognized officially by the New Mexico State legistature;

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/New_M...NewMexico.html
    Sounds very similar to what the STA's notes say -- verrry interesting....

T.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was more to Kathy's email that was just a tad too controversial and naming of names that I didn't feel was appropriate for the forum. Know that there are strong differences of opinion and charges of skullduggery.

It is believed by the fans of NM Land of Enchantment that the Secretary of State proclamation declaring the Stevenson NM tartan official is a blantant forgery - and even if it were authentic - only the governor of New Mexico can proclaim a tartan the official state tartan.

Bottom line, it appears to be the St. Andrew Scottish Society of New Mexico vs. Mr. Stevenson.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one who has dealt with various members of New Mexico's political class* over the years, let me say that proclamations have zero legal standing. So as it stands, New Mexico at this time has no official tartan. To be declared official, a tartan would need ot pass both the House and Senate and then be signed by the governor.

Even more so than some states, New Mexico operates under a convoluted good old boy network between members of both parties and further divisions between the northern and southern portions of the state. Many of the political divisions have there founding from before the time New Mexico became a US territory, going back to the 1600's.

Zardoz, you ever get out to the Inn again, give me a holler.

Rob

* When former Senator Pete Domenici had his first annual policy shindig at New Mexico State University, I was going through Corbett Center and ran into a few folks I've known, including former Governor Bruce King, my Senator in Santa Fe, who was Superintendent of the school district I graduated from and signed my High School diploma, and various staffers from Bingaman's, and at the time, Congressman Steve Pearce's offices.
    Last edited by Rob Wright; 20th July 10 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ain't going to say nothing.

Except that I'm not surprised.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast