X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Tess View Post
    One brand of Scotch also gives out "Land" if you register with them.

Jack Daniels does the same thing. I own a plot of land in the hollow where The Distillery is. Along with the land comes a title. I am a Tennessee Squire. It got me lunch at the White Rabbit restaurant in Lynchburg, Tenn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Frank McGrath View Post
    Jack Daniels does rthe same thing. I own a plot of land in the hollow where The Distillery is. Along with the land comes a title. I am a Tennessee Squire. It got me lunch at the White Rabbit restaurant in Lynchburg, Tenn.
    Ha Ha Me too! And that lunch was more that I've ever got for any hereditary entitlements!
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is, however, possible to purchase an English title of Lord of the Manor. However, the correct style is either Fred Bloggs, Lord of Little Mucking OR Squire Bloggs, to take a made up example. IOW, it doesn't entitle you to use Lord in front of a name, which would indicate a peer, or in some cases customary usage by the son of a peer.

This type of title passes with the land, and is attached to the last part of the land not already sold off, which might be as little as a square foot. The title of Lord of Little Holland was actually given away in a newspaper competition, and was attached to a strip of beach, the rest of the estate having long since been sold off. Obviously, the title can't be sold multiple times to different people.

The best known modern example of someone who acquired a title by buying a property is Andrew Lloyd-Webber, the composer of musicals, or I should say Squire Lloyd-Webber, but note that he cannot style himself Lord Lloyd-Webber, although he would be lord OF somewhere-or-other. To be fair, he did buy the whole estate, but then I'm sure he could afford to.

We used to live a short distance from an old manor house, still inhabited by by the hereditary squire. He always wore a tweed suit and matching hat, and habitually rode an old bicycle. You would know it was his bike because the freewheel mechanism skipped, making a distinctive sound. He did own a very old car, what used to be called a bull-nosed Morris, which he took out perhaps once a year. I think one time he gave us eggs from his chickens, although I can't remember what good turn we had done him. A true eccentric, but his title wasn't bought.
    Last edited by O'Callaghan; 15th February 11 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should point out that Andrew Lloyd Webber has been a Peer of the Realm since 1997 and thus has the title of Baron in his own right.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a queston on this. The titles are for fun. I got one for my wife as a gift last year. She takes it no more seriously than owning property on the moon or having a star named after her. They're done for fun.

Now on the part that the funds go toward conservation, for replanting trees or for supporting historic site. Are they claiming all these are just scams as well?

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac View Post
    I have a queston on this. The titles are for fun. I got one for my wife as a gift last year. She takes it no more seriously than owning property on the moon or having a star named after her. They're done for fun.

Now on the part that the funds go toward conservation, for replanting trees or for supporting historic site. Are they claiming all these are just scams as well?

Jim
    Yes Jim, sse the terms and conditions for one of the scammers Dunan Castle -

4. The title “Laird of Dunans Castle” or “Lady of Dunans Castle” shall be granted under the laws of Scotland, (they are not in a position to grant any form of titles) and shall only pertain to the individual(s) whose name(s) is(are) entered on a valid deed of entitlement.

5. As the title ‘Laird’ or the associated ‘Lady’ (in this context ‘Lady’ is specifically relating only to the ownership of land, (they dont own the Land) not anything else, nor any other type of title) only accrues to a person who owns land in Scotland, your title will relate specifically to one square foot of land set in the grounds of Dunans Castle, which you will ‘own’ on an informal basis, (thers the crunch) and will be referred to specifically in your Deed of Entitlement. This land will be identified by an ID number at Dunans on a plan derived from the deeds of Dunans. You will receive a plan of the site with the approximate position of ‘your’ piece of land marked, this will be for illustrative purposes only. The exact position of your square foot of land will be derived from the ID number and relative to two permanent markers set out on site by Charles Dixon-Spain, Laird of Dunans Castle.

See http://scottishlaird.com/?page_id=29

8. Trees planted in honour of Lairds and Ladies, will not necessarily be planted upon the one square foot of land owned by that Laird or Lady. (again the so called Laird or Lady does not own the Land) The actual siting of the tree will depend upon the topographical, environmental and ecological considerations which pertain onsite. The planting of trees will take place only at the correct time of year and notification of planting will be sent to the laird or lady in question. ScottishLaird.com undertakes to identify each tree individually.

9. The Sponsorship of trees, whether native or exotic, does not imply ownership of those trees nor the ground they stand upon. Nor do any rights over those trees accrue to the sponsor, other than the right to be identified as sponsor of those trees or tree.

Again its not a bit of FUN its a Scam!! Dont forget they, that is Charles Dixon-Spain, Duncan Castle own the land and all folks are doing is rebuilding a burnt out castle for him to later re-sell if he desires. It has nothing to do with conservation but profit People would be better sending money to the National Trust for Scotland, then it may do some good for Scotlands Heritage.
    Last edited by Sketraw; 16th February 11 at 07:57 AM.
    John A. Duncan of Sketraw
    "Oh wad some power the giftie gie us, tae see oorsel's as ithers see us."

Clan Duncan Society The Heraldry Society of Scotland
    Scottish History Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketraw View Post
    Sorry, but in my opinion I dont see these peddlers of fake titles and their so called claims of land preservation of a bog in Caithness, for example, as a bit of FUN! To me it is degrading to Scotland and also devalues people with real Lairdships and other titles and makes it difficult for people to understand what is genuine and what is not.

If you purchased an item from a shop £29.95 and it didn't do what it said on the tin, you would have something to say, wouldn't you? Or, even worse, you bought something, thinking you owned it and found out in reality it wasent yours!
    I don't know a lot about these scams but it seems a bit odd to me that because some North American bought a tiny price of dirt in the Highlands they think that they would actually get some sort of title with it! What about every common house owner in say Inverness? Would you think them all lairds and dukes as well?? Am I missing something here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M. Stewart View Post
    I don't know a lot about these scams but it seems a bit odd to me that because some North American bought a tiny price of dirt in the Highlands they think that they would actually get some sort of title with it! What about every common house owner in say Inverness? Would you think them all lairds and dukes as well?? Am I missing something here?
    No you aren't missing the point at all, it is a ridiculous concept but people are dragged into it because the land is supposedly purchased is on a Scottish Estate already. Thing is a lot of the so called estates are even made up!!

Take a look at the first video here http://www.scots-titles.com/?page_id=169 to see the market they are aiming at, and if you want to have a sad laugh look at some of the rest. Again it makes Scotland and its people look like twats!!
    John A. Duncan of Sketraw
    "Oh wad some power the giftie gie us, tae see oorsel's as ithers see us."

Clan Duncan Society The Heraldry Society of Scotland
    Scottish History Online

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could easily see an organized effort to get people to buy one square foot of an area that was in need of preservation or conservation as a means of locking out bad development...that would be a good thing. It'd be a management nightmare if they didn't agree to cede all management decisions to a central committee or whatever, though.

Seriously, though, are there really people who are that out of it that they actually see any benefit to buying any kind of title? Obviously the locals wouldn't be fooled and would treat the "pretender" accordingly and if anybody outside of the loop on the true story ever found out that someone's title had been purchased they would certainly consider that person a pretentious SOB.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her's was Lochaber but probably amounts to the same.

Live and learn.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast