X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    7th February 11
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    7,571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Edward VII at Balmoral

    This picture showed up in my newsfeed today, labelled as Edward VII relaxing at Balmoral and photographed by his wife Alexandra. I know that the "Flat-cappers" among the Great Rabble will rejoice and jump up and down.

    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

  2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    23rd February 17
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great photo! I was actually searching for some of him wearing the kilt when I saw your post. I wonder if Peter can tell us what tartan he is wearing.

    Many thanks!

    Adam

  4. #3
    Join Date
    13th September 07
    Location
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    black Arm band??

    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    This picture showed up in my newsfeed today, labelled as Edward VII relaxing at Balmoral and photographed by his wife Alexandra. I know that the "Flat-cappers" among the Great Rabble will rejoice and jump up and down.

    I may be wrong, but it appears the king is wearing a black arm band. I wonder who he is mourning

  5. #4
    Join Date
    25th September 04
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada 1123.6536.5321
    Posts
    5,001
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Balmoral Tartan -



    The description for the Balmoral Tartan on The Scottish Register of Tartan is -

    This is the original Balmoral as designed by Queen Victoria's husband. Prince Albert in 1853. While predominantly grey with overchecks of red and black the background contains threads of black and white yarns twisted together to achieve the appearance of the rough hewn granite so familiar in Royal Deeside. It is worn by HM Queen herself as a skirt and several members of the Royal Family but only with the Queen's permission. The only other approved wearer of the Balmoral Tartan is the Queen's personal piper (the Estate workers and Ghillies wear the Balmoral Tweed). D W Stewart wrote in 'Old and Rare Scottish Tartans' (1893), 'Her Majesty the Queen has not only granted permission for its publication here, but has also graciously afforded information concerning its inception in the early years of the reign, when the sett was designed by the Prince Consort.' There is also a smaller sett that was woven for the children's clothes. Checked against original cloth sample woven by Kinloch Anderson, holders of the Royal Warrant. The Balmoral was originally woven only by Romanes & Paterson of Edinburgh.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

  6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    9th June 16
    Location
    Killeen Texas
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Balmoral Tartan

    The gray, black and red are one nice tartan. Is almost too bad it is only for the royal family but I have to admit if it was my tartan I would do the same.

    Jack

  8. #6
    Join Date
    25th November 11
    Location
    Suburban North Shore Chicago
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    This picture showed up in my newsfeed today, labelled as Edward VII relaxing at Balmoral and photographed by his wife Alexandra. I know that the "Flat-cappers" among the Great Rabble will rejoice and jump up and down.

    Wonderful photo. He looks like everyone's Favorite Uncle. I have mentioned before how happy, relaxed and at ease the Royals always appear to be while in Scotland, and this is another example. Edward is noted for inheriting his parent's (especially his mother's) love for the Highlands, and I admire him in much the same way I do his father--if Albert had been king, his rule likely would have been similar to Edward's, in my opinion.
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 20th April 18 at 10:51 AM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

    "I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

  9. #7
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    The Balmoral Tartan -

    The description for the Balmoral Tartan on The Scottish Register of Tartan is -

    This is the original Balmoral as designed by Queen Victoria's husband. Prince Albert in 1853. While predominantly grey with overchecks of red and black the background contains threads of black and white yarns twisted together to achieve the appearance of the rough hewn granite so familiar in Royal Deeside. It is worn by HM Queen herself as a skirt and several members of the Royal Family but only with the Queen's permission. The only other approved wearer of the Balmoral Tartan is the Queen's personal piper (the Estate workers and Ghillies wear the Balmoral Tweed). D W Stewart wrote in 'Old and Rare Scottish Tartans' (1893), 'Her Majesty the Queen has not only granted permission for its publication here, but has also graciously afforded information concerning its inception in the early years of the reign, when the sett was designed by the Prince Consort.' There is also a smaller sett that was woven for the children's clothes. Checked against original cloth sample woven by Kinloch Anderson, holders of the Royal Warrant. The Balmoral was originally woven only by Romanes & Paterson of Edinburgh.
    Most of this info is incorrect! Wrong date, wrong designer, not woven by Romanes & Paterson and so on.

  10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    25th September 04
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada 1123.6536.5321
    Posts
    5,001
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Peter, All I can say is that i posted a direct quote from the site.

    Here is the description from The Scottish Tartans Authority. Again a direct quote. They list the same designer and the same date.


    This is the conventional Ghillies version with light grey replaced by white. Origin not known. The basic Balmoral tartan was designed by Queen Victoria's husband. Prince Albert in 1853 and, while predominantly grey with overchecks of red and black the background contains a thread of black and white yarns twisted together to achieve the appearance of the rough hewn granite so familiar in Royal Deeside. It is worn by HM Queen herself as a skirt and several members of the Royal Family but only with the Queen's permission. The only other approved wearer of the Balmoral Tartan is the Queen's personal piper. (The Estate workers and Ghillies wear the Balmoral Tweed). D.W.Stewart wrote in his book, 'Old and Rare Scottish Tartans' (1893), ''Her Majesty the Queen has not only granted permission for its publication here, but has also graciously afforded information concerning its inception in the early years of the reign, when the sett was designed by the Prince Consort.'' The grey threads are flecked to give an impression of granite from which Balmoral is built.


    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 20th April 18 at 02:22 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Well Peter, All I can say is that i posted a direct quote from the site.

    Here is the description from The Scottish Tartans Authority. Again a direct quote. They list the same designer and the same date.


    This is the conventional Ghillies version with light grey replaced by white. Origin not known. The basic Balmoral tartan was designed by Queen Victoria's husband. Prince Albert in 1853 and, while predominantly grey with overchecks of red and black the background contains a thread of black and white yarns twisted together to achieve the appearance of the rough hewn granite so familiar in Royal Deeside. It is worn by HM Queen herself as a skirt and several members of the Royal Family but only with the Queen's permission. The only other approved wearer of the Balmoral Tartan is the Queen's personal piper. (The Estate workers and Ghillies wear the Balmoral Tweed). D.W.Stewart wrote in his book, 'Old and Rare Scottish Tartans' (1893), ''Her Majesty the Queen has not only granted permission for its publication here, but has also graciously afforded information concerning its inception in the early years of the reign, when the sett was designed by the Prince Consort.'' The grey threads are flecked to give an impression of granite from which Balmoral is built.

    Yes, that too is incorrect and due for an upgrade when I have the time. Here's what I've managed to glean about the Balmoral tartan.

  13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    1st February 15
    Location
    Wetlands of Norfolk UK
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several pictures available showing King Edward VII in mourning. He only lived for 7 years after Queen Victoria. He would not have worn a mourning band for a " lesser Nobility" so the only person he is likely to have worn the band for is his mother Queen Victoria.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

  15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0