X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlander, s'more

Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to freep For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen this article before, I found it rather interesting. I especially agree that the tartans are all too modern and dark/colorless. Though this seems to be hollywood's problem with history as other shows like Vikings suffer from this problem too. We seem to collectively want to imagine the past in drab dark colors, but I digress as I could write an entire paper on that subject.

The one thing that I gripe with in this article is that it seems to place the onus of the decline of the Highland way of life to the Acts of Proscription, which is debatable both in the impact that the Acts had as well as them being the sole cause of decline. The Statutes of Iona from 1609 played a role in this as well. It certainly distanced some of the Highland Leadership from their people and traditions by forcing them to attending Protestant English-Speaking Lowland Schools. As well as the outlawing of bards.

Overall I've been pleasantly surprised by Outlander and it's depiction, a show my fiancée talked me into watching.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to NPG For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched episode 1 of the first season on a whim, and have turned into an Outlander junkie, LOL.

Cheers, Mark

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Cavalry Scout For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    I've seen this article before, I found it rather interesting. I especially agree that the tartans are all too modern and dark/colorless. Though this seems to be hollywood's problem with history as other shows like Vikings suffer from this problem too. We seem to collectively want to imagine the past in drab dark colors, but I digress as I could write an entire paper on that subject.

The one thing that I gripe with in this article is that it seems to place the onus of the decline of the Highland way of life to the Acts of Proscription, which is debatable both in the impact that the Acts had as well as them being the sole cause of decline. The Statutes of Iona from 1609 played a role in this as well. It certainly distanced some of the Highland Leadership from their people and traditions by forcing them to attending Protestant English-Speaking Lowland Schools. As well as the outlawing of bards.

Overall I've been pleasantly surprised by Outlander and it's depiction, a show my fiancée talked me into watching.
    I think one of the mistakes we make in the study of history and particularly the appearance and practices of our distance ancestors it to assume that everyone of a period acted like and wore the same clothes as those mentioned in original documents. Generally descriptions of people tended toward those of the nobility and commoners were rarely described. Thus, the tartans worn by the crofters and tacksmen of the clans were probably not particularly bright if only because pre-aniline dyes faded quite quickly. The gentry would have been able to afford new when the fading set in.
    Slàinte mhath!

Aut pax, aut bellum.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to freep For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freep View Post
    I think one of the mistakes we make in the study of history and particularly the appearance and practices of our distance ancestors it to assume that everyone of a period acted like and wore the same clothes as those mentioned in original documents. Generally descriptions of people tended toward those of the nobility and commoners were rarely described. Thus, the tartans worn by the crofters and tacksmen of the clans were probably not particularly bright if only because pre-aniline dyes faded quite quickly. The gentry would have been able to afford new when the fading set in.
    That is a good point, and one the article touches on to a degree in the idea of "you get the colors you pay for". So I guess the color issue is more about not having much variety between the clan rank and file and the clan leadership when it comes to tartans. Maybe when the show gets to Culloden they will have a bit more diversity as Bonnie Prince Charlie is always depicted in bright colors.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to NPG For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry freep but that's too simplistic a division and just not the case with regard to some dyes such as indigio. Analine dyes also fade, they just do it differently to the way natural dyes do.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Sorry freep but that's too simplistic a division and just not the case with regard to some dyes such as indigio. Analine dyes also fade, they just do it differently to the way natural dyes do.
    It used to be that when movies were made they didn't by and large give a tinker's damn for anything remotely close to historical authenticity regarding wardrobe, social history aspects such as housing, cooking, other crafts and clothing. Witness another thread here regarding "Stetson" hats--a common term for any cowboy style hat resulting from decades of Hollywood depictions of the American west. The same phenomenon exists regarding every genre of historical film and extends even to recent films, "Braveheart" coming to mind.

My point is there is a movement that is slowly trying to introduce a more accurate degree of historicity in film. Examples would include "Dances With Wolves," "Rob Roy," and now "Outlander." This is not to say those movies and others are exact representations of the period depicted but rather vast improvements over previous efforts.

As to tartan the ancient and weathered versions of various Clan tartans are an avowed attempt to match what tartan would have looked like before the creation of modern dyes and alternative fabrics. If there is a discrepancy in the tartans used for recent movies, at least they are going too far in the right direction, perhaps.

So, as regards details such as this I applaud the attempt to depict something accurately. Where criticism is warranted perhaps we should approach it with a degree of circumspection rather than to focus entirely on mistakes without kudos for what they've done correctly or at least closer than they have in the past.
    Slàinte mhath!

Aut pax, aut bellum.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to freep For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting link, as is the embedded one about the Royal Stewart tartan. Unfortunately both repeat the myth that tartan was banned by the Act of Proscription meaning that subsequent conclusions are flawed.
    Last edited by figheadair; 9th April 16 at 12:03 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to tartan the ancient and weathered versions of various Clan tartans are an avowed attempt to match what tartan would have looked like before the creation of modern dyes and alternative fabrics.
    Indeed, but my point is that these colour ranges don't represent the use of pre-aniline dyes in tartan. Apart from the fact that almost any shade is available from natural dyes, my main gripe with modern tartans (woven not shades) is that they work with uniform palettes; light, dark, muted etc., which is not how dyes were used in 18th century tartans. As a guide to pre-Culloden era tartans: red of any shade, from pink to claret, was good; blue was invariably a dark navy; green was generally a moss shade but occasionally was very dark, like the shade in modern colours.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Interesting link, as is the embedded one about the Royal Stewart tartan. Unfortunately both repeat the myth that tartan was banned by the Act of Proscription meaning that subsequent conclusions are flawed.
    ". . . And be it further enacted by the authority aforesaid, That from and after the first day of August, one thousand seven hundred and forty seven, no man or boy, within that part of Great Briton called Scotland, other than shall be employed as officers and soldiers in his Majesty's forces, shall on any pretence whatsoever, wear or put on the clothes commonly called Highland Clothes (that is to say) the plaid, philibeg, or little kilt, trowse, shoulder belts, or any part whatsoever of what peculiarly belongs to the highland garb; and that no tartan, or partly-coloured plaid or stuff shall be used for great coats, or for upper coats; and if any such person shall presume, after the said first day of August, to wear or put on the aforesaid garments or any part of them, every such person so offending, being convicted thereof by the oath of one or more credible witness or witnesses before any court of justiciary, or any one or more justices of the peace for the shire or stewartry, or judge ordinary of the place where such offence shall be committed, shall suffer imprisonment, without bail, during the space of six months, and no longer; and being convicted for a second offence before a court of justiciary or at the circuits, shall be liable to be transported to any of his Majesty's plantations beyond the seas, there to remain for a space of seven years. . ."

--http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/proscription_1747.htm

Am I misinterpreting this?
    Slàinte mhath!

Aut pax, aut bellum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast