X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rite of passage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rite of passage

I don't know if this is a strange question, but I wondered: Is there a rite of passage (for example from childhood to adulthood) that involves kilts or kilt wearing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean besides killing a rabid, wild badger with nothing but a pocket knife for you first head-on full mask sporran?
    I kid..............
    "Fide et Fortitudine"
    (fidelity & fortitude)
    ALBA GU BRAW!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question--I'll be keeping an eye on this thread; when I finally get pushed off that cliff, I want to be kilted!
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only "right of passage" that I'm familiar with is when your parents quit giving you hand me down kilts and buy you one of your own. This occurs when you are about 16...
    Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 18th June 12 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first time wearing the kilt was for a type of rite of passage: junior high school graduation. We have many members whose first time wearing the kilt was for their own wedding.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if there is one, but you can certainly make it one. I did with my kids. I buy their first kilt for their 18th birthday, and include all the accoutrement. That is the day he is a man, in my estimation, and in theirs.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was one, then its news to me.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m so relieved you didn’t let it slip, Jock. I know you will have been tempted, heaven knows I would have been too, but it doesn’t do to let any of these ‘outsiders’ into the inner secrets of Scottish kilt-wearing. Next thing they’ll be telling us we shouldn’t do this or it’s not proper to do that, this doesn’t match or that is the wrong shade of white. Horror of horrors they might even fathom the secrets of correctly pronouncing words like ‘loch’ and ‘broch’ – and where will we be then?
    I mean just look what they did to the Masons? A rolled up trouser leg or a strange handshake can belong to all and sundry nowadays.
    No, Jock. We must keep our traditions and secret rites of kilt-wearing passage to ourselves or goodness knows what will be next!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the UK, amongst non-kiltwearing people, the right of passage for boys was somewhere in their teens. The time when a boy stopped wearing short trousers and went into long trousers forever after. This would usually correspond with progression in an educational establishment to upper or 'big' school or when the boy started work.

This is my great grand uncle Charles Whannell Eaton. He is about 14 years old max and wearing his first pair of long trousers. Note the stand, behind his feet. It had a clamp attached to stop people moving during long exposures.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I’m so relieved you didn’t let it slip, Jock. I know you will have been tempted, heaven knows I would have been too, but it doesn’t do to let any of these ‘outsiders’ into the inner secrets of Scottish kilt-wearing. Next thing they’ll be telling us we shouldn’t do this or it’s not proper to do that, this doesn’t match or that is the wrong shade of white. Horror of horrors they might even fathom the secrets of correctly pronouncing words like ‘loch’ and ‘broch’ – and where will we be then?
    I mean just look what they did to the Masons? A rolled up trouser leg or a strange handshake can belong to all and sundry nowadays.
    No, Jock. We must keep our traditions and secret rites of kilt-wearing passage to ourselves or goodness knows what will be next!
    Hi Phil, nice to hear from you.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast