X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hair on sheep skins

I got these two lamb skins for Christmas from my wife and am thinking about what to make out of them. Not all of my leather and leather working tools have been unpacked from our move so it might take some time before anything is put together.

Although I have not had time to work on making my own metal cantles, I keep thinking about how these two would look on different sporran designs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1665a.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	32790

My Mother in Law says that she saw several sheep all over Spain that look like the red one. It is interesting how many colors of sheep can be found.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/058/0/10...95963_ic81.jpg
    http://www.sheep101.info/kindsofsheep.html
    Last edited by LKM; 24th January 18 at 06:16 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LKM For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you are project planning, keep in mind that a lot of commercial sheepskins are treated with some technique or product which straightens the fur. Over a period of time and humidity cycles, the fur will often curl back like it was originally. They still work and look fine - just somewhat different. You want a design for your product that will look good either way.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered doing a leather cantle with these?. They're quite easy to make and blend nicely with fur.

Are you looking for a hairy monster or something more sedate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have considered leather cantle and flap sporrans with these. They look like they would work great with either in a fur front or semi-formal type of look. I have a few different options in mind, and might make several and see what look I like best with them.

I saw that some of the options had very curly hair while others had more straight hair and these are (at the moment at least) more wavy. As most sheep have very curly hair/wool I would not be surprised if it was straightened to some degree. If they curl up with time I think they will still look nice, just different then how they are today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...you've got enough material there to be able to afford to make a mistake...so I'd give it a go.

Browsing around, I saw this: https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/213991419772960642/

Something similar could be made with a leather cantle.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These were built with a curved walnut stiffener about 3/8" thick along the top edge of the front's cantle section, which was then covered with more leather along the edge. It worked pretty well.

Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 4th January 18 at 08:57 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post: