X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A comfortable, easy-to-use thimble

Hi guys
    Years ago, Dritz made a _great_ leather thimble that really protected your finger, lasted a long time, and was a whole lot more comfortable and easy to use than a traditional metal thimble. Like many things, it's gone the way of the buffalo.

I finally got around to making a pattern from the very last one I had when it finally wore out, and I've made myself several more. They all work great. I've posted pics below, in case you want to make one. Here's how:

-get a nice piece of heavy leather scrap (Michael's craft leather squares work great, if you want to buy a piece). Cut it out using the photo below as a shape guide. If you want to use the picture as a template, scale it so that the long dimension is 3.5" or so. It needs to be long enough to go around your finger and overlap by about 3/4". You might need a longer length than my template if you have big fingers.
    -cut a piece of metal flashing (I used a scrap of roof flashing) half the length of the tab and slightly less wide.

-fold the tab over the metal and hot glue the whole thing together. The metal flashing is the key - if you just use leather, your needle will be poking through the leather into your finger after a kilt or two.

-put a tab of velcro at each end of the strip to hold it closed. I found that hot glue doesn't hold very well, but the sticky-back velcro really sticks all by itself. You can always stitch it if it comes loose.
    -wrap it around your finger, and shape the tab to arch over the end of your finger.

Voila! A perfect, comfortable thimble that doesn't make your fingernails ache or your finger sweaty.

Barb
    Last edited by Barb T; 30th June 17 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a sewing kinda guy, but that looks durn slick. I'll have to file this away in the memory banks for retrieval when I decide to try doing my own kilt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T.
    Voila! A perfect, comfortable thimble that doesn't make your fingernails ache or your finger sweaty.
    And here I go with another BIG "thank you" to you. This will be great.
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bumping this back to the top in case anyone who's just starting a kilt hasn't seen it.

Barb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thank you, and my poor pin pricked fingers thank you!
    It don't mean a thing, if you aint got that swing!!
    'S Rioghal Mo Dhream - a child of the mist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Unique brand of sewing supplies carry four different leather thimbles. The one I like has a dimpled metal shield in the middle. I see if I can't scan a photo from their catalog.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bumping this up to the top for anyone who's started making kilts since this was first posted.

Barb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T. View Post
    Just bumping this up to the top for anyone who's started making kilts since this was first posted.

Barb
    Good thing too, I wouldn't have seen it. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb, I found this leather skin thimble that seems to be what you show in your design.

I thought I'd post the link in case it is something you could recommend.

http://www.thimblesetc.com/functional.html

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I've tried this one, and it's too wimpy for kiltmaking. It's soft, and it slides around, and the deerskin wears out too fast. The original Dritz design that I copied is much sturdier, lasts longer, and doesn't slide around on your finger.

Cheers,

B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast