X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kilted Archery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice ! I think basic archery was the only useful thing I ever learned in gym class .
    veritas aequitas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a longbow for re-enactment displays, which were always a bit hectic, (tunic rather than kilt) but it was a great pleasure to go back to the display field when the public had gone home and shoot a few quivers with my friends as the sun went down. Very peaceful :-)

I've never tried a compound bow, sights, stabilisers, clickers, etc, but despite the typical step down in accuracy there's a simplicity to longbows which I enjoy, especially the bang you get putting an arrow through a plywood target.

Self-bows with natural strings are obviously a bit more susceptible to atmospheric changes, so in general you get more consistency and a better cast with a recurved horn & sinew laminated bow, and especially with a modern composite for target shooting but I always just loved the history of the longbow. I assume compounds let you hold a heavy poundage for additional time if uncooperative wildlife require it, but I don’t hunt, myself.

I’ve enjoyed using a modern composite bow at a range as well, though I preferred hunting targets set up at random distances in woodland rather than a range - lots of fun.

Salvianus, Archery in Sherwood Forest (seriously).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true, Salvianus. The compound bow allows the archer to hold the draw longer before releasing the stored energy. It was a nice thing to have when first learning archery. The recurve bow seems to be a pretty nice bit of kit, too. Longbows have a romance to them that no other bow has. Crossbows...eh...not for me.

I have enjoyed many hours at the butts with my compound bow as a wee boy but it's been quite some time for me. I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn now, muchless the centre of a target placard! Lol.

Great sport, lots of history.
    The Official [BREN]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12