X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb website Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

miniature k-bar sgian-dubh

I have seen these before and want to get one as I carried its full size brother when I was in the Army and now when I hit the backwoods. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Larry

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and I'm sorry but these, while they look good, are not very good knives. They are actually sold as a letter opener. The blade will not stay sharp after slicing two pieces of typing paper.

https://www.marineshop.net/combat-st...-opener-106232
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 25th December 16 at 03:33 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The working miniatures have 5 &1/4 inch blades making the knife about 9 inches overall. They are currently still made by KaBar but may be a bit large for a sgian dubh.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My full size K-bar (US Airborne 1974) is too large as a sgian. I take it on a belt for serious camping (without the wife on survival type treks).

I think there are other mini k-bars on the market. I hope you find a good one that fits your needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K-Bar knives are not the traditional sgian nor were they intended to be. I fail to see how one, even a letter opener, could be adapted to make a passable sgian. I have a Fairbairn-Sykes letter opener on my desk right now but it is not one either nor intended to be.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
    K-Bar knives are not the traditional sgian nor were they intended to be. I fail to see how one, even a letter opener, could be adapted to make a passable sgian. I have a Fairbairn-Sykes letter opener on my desk right now but it is not one either nor intended to be.
    That is precisely why a traditional SD is not regarded, in normal circumstances, as a weapon. Whilst something like a Fairbairn-Sykes or a K-Bar, even as miniatures are specifically of a military weapon pedigree.

On the other hand, for day to day practical purposes I see no reason why any knife, that fits the hose comfortably, could not be carried there as a tool with informal kilt attire. For rather smarter occasions then a traditional style SD is the acceptable choice of most of us. Even, dare I say it, to most of officialdom as well.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th December 16 at 07:16 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, have a mini kabar for use as a sgian. I have three or four sgians, but the mini is my most often worn. As Steve noted,
    no high end blade, but will handle virtually anything I throw at it in the normal course of things. Mine has a four and a quarter
    inch blade, so works pretty well. One of its prime benefits is that it only cost me $4.25, so if perchance the local gendarmerie
    is in error about its legality, no great loss. And it does work as a light tool. I don't recall where I bought it, but it was a company
    in California, where knives are not shipped across state borders. Calling it a letter opener
    allowed cross-border shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are available from Atlanta Cutlery. Not sure how functional they are, but at under $10, I bought one in black and one in khaki.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2730...eck-knife.aspx

-Clay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    I have one and I'm sorry but these, while they look good, are not very good knives. They are actually sold as a letter opener. The blade will not stay sharp after slicing two pieces of typing paper.

https://www.marineshop.net/combat-st...-opener-106232
    "Typing paper?" What's that?
    Regards,
    Tom

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, if you come to my shop you will see me using carbon paper. How's that for old school?
    I still wear a wrist watch. I tell time by looking at a clock face. I know what 1/4 till 4 means
    My cell phone is only a telephone. Every other function is turned off. I still use a telephone directory to find stuff.
    I can use a library and know what what the Dewy decimal system is.
    I read from real books bound and printed on paper. I know what an ISBN is.
    I know what fractions are and can multiply and divide them.
    I know what a slide rule is and can use one.
    I use a thing called a pencil. It has the nub of an eraser on one end.
    I can tie both a four in hand knot, a full Windsor, and a bow tie.
    I can time a distributor and can find the oil fill cap.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast