X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb website Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a sharp blade with me every day, kilted or not. My Sgian is kept razor sharp and at hand when I'm kilted. I see no need for a decorative trinket because form follows function.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "non-bladed safety sgian dubh" do you mean that it does not, in fact, have any blade at all?

Either way, I think the pertinent question is, is there ever a situation in which you might use your sgian dubh as a knife? If so, it should have a properly maintained, sharp blade. (Remember that a dull or weathered blade is far more dangerous than a sharp one.) If not, then there's no need for a blade at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to have a sgian with a blade, it may as well be sharp and of some use. I almost always have some sort of knife with me, a habit formed when owning a convenience store and continually opening packaging, but even without that still find I use it several times a day.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 5 sgian blades I am slowly in the process of making handles for.
    They are as supplied blunt, I will sharpen them.
    I also am making a cross between an officers sgian dubh and a sgian brew.
    Eventually I'll make a pure sgian brew.

My choice of what to use depends on the occasion. If there is no requirement for the brew, and nothing to prevent it ( small children, the event premises bans all knives etc) i intend to take the knife
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see pix of these as they progress, Q. (Than-Q!)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Parish priest, retired school Principal, lover of God, people, dogs, joy, humour, clarity. Theologian, teacher, leader, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls, firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to emphasise slowly!! I have too many hobbies!!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long ago I worked as an armed security guard. In the course of working a crowd control job one of the other guards, a new guy, asked me if I carried my pistol loaded. I was taken aback by the question. I told him I always carried it loaded because someone else with a gun and grudge might think I was serious about the whole thing.

I would suggest the same applies to any tool you carry around. Anything that might be perceived as a weapon should be able to function as such. The notion of a plastic bladed or non-bladed sgian to smacks of costume and that's not why I came. Real deal or nothing for me.
    Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to freep For This Useful Post:

Western Washington State or s/v Lady Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for a very thoughtful thread. I have a couple knives but rarely use them in my hose. I am even less likely to wear an ornamental skein for formal affairs since I hope there will be dancing. I do not want either a blade or a substitute in my hose during such activity, although I have never actually had an incident when it disloged. A (sharp, useful) folding knife in the sporran is more appealing, as mentioned by azwildcat96. Just my two cents. I know many successfully carry.
    Elf

There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing.
    -atr: New Zealand proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have carried a knife since I was a child, my school allowed sheath knives. A strange concept in this day where all knives are considered weapons not tools. It did allow me to realise that there are no dangerous weapons, just dangerous people.
    I carry a Boker/Magnum sgian dubh supported by my brace, it's kept sharp and been used a few times. It's a tool.
    A telephone has no Constitutional right to be answered. Ignore it and it will go away.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripod View Post
    I have carried a knife since I was a child, my school allowed sheath knives. A strange concept in this day where all knives are considered weapons not tools. It did allow me to realise that there are no dangerous weapons, just dangerous people.
    I carry a Boker/Magnum sgian dubh supported by my brace, it's kept sharp and been used a few times. It's a tool.
    Me too, as a Cub / Scout we encouraged to carry a sheath knife, and at school we all had some sort of pocket knife.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast