X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb website Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sgian dhu, or no sgian dhu.....that is the question

I am accessorizing. I can't decide if I want a Sgian dhu. I mean, it looks cool, in kilt hose. I'm just afraid that I would lose it. Can't decide. Help me out here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kilted Mike.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	27494
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very often don't wear one for any number of resons, but I haven't ever noticed one moving around much when I have. Unless you're doing headstands and bouncing up and down, it's probably pretty secure - and if you are doing them, you'll probably have other things to worry about.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you afraid it's going to flop out of your hose with your flashes/garters in place? I've never had mine even come close to falling out even when worn all day at the games, and on a few pub crawls with the boys.

I wouldn't worry too much about it!
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK please understand that this response is my personal opinion only.

I wear a kilt everyday. I have done so for the past 12 years.

4380 kilt wearings give or take.

I have worn a Sgian perhaps 10 or maybe 15 of those times. I'm sorry there is just no need in my life to have a sock knife. I usually have plenty of options close at hand if I have to open a package or perform an emergency pencil sharpening proceedure.

If I am dressing in a manner where a Sgian would be expected I will more than likely wear my "Sgian Shoe".

Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Louisville, KY, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not necessary to wear one. For me, the key to wearing one if you so choose is to tuck most of it into the top of the hose. I leave enough sticking out to be visible and grasp with my thumb & a couple of fingers (maybe 2 inches or so). I have a sgian 'brew' (bottle opener with antler handle) and an actual knife (one of those plastic-handled/sheathed knives with the clan crest. I sharpened it and it seems to hold the edge OK). The sheath usually comes out with the knife - it's a tight fit.

Some people only tuck in the sheath, leaving the entire handle completely exposed (the easier to re-sheath after use?). To me, that seems a bit chancy, especially if the fit to the sheath is at all loose. To each their own.
    John

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question will soon morph into, "are you comfortable, or habitual with carrying a knife daily?" If so, find a sgian that fits your personality and style. If no, there is no foul in the absence of a sgain.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No headstands here..

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I very often don't wear one for any number of resons, but I haven't ever noticed one moving around much when I have. Unless you're doing headstands and bouncing up and down, it's probably pretty secure - and if you are doing them, you'll probably have other things to worry about.
    Haha. No, I won't be doing headstands. Still recovering from lower spine surgery, so I'll try to stay upright. Thanks for your input. I've never tried to wear one in a sock, was just wondering how the knife does, does it stay in place, etc. Thanks.
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Sgian shoe,,,what a cool idea!

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    OK please understand that this response is my personal opinion only.

I wear a kilt everyday. I have done so for the past 12 years.

4380 kilt wearings give or take.

I have worn a Sgian perhaps 10 or maybe 15 of those times. I'm sorry there is just no need in my life to have a sock knife. I usually have plenty of options close at hand if I have to open a package or perform an emergency pencil sharpening proceedure.

If I am dressing in a manner where a Sgian would be expected I will more than likely wear my "Sgian Shoe".

A sgian shoe?! What a cool idea. That should stay in, shouldn't it? Wherever did you find one of those?
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Leatherman guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I think the question will soon morph into, "are you comfortable, or habitual with carrying a knife daily?" If so, find a sgian that fits your personality and style. If no, there is no foul in the absence of a sgain.
    I own a whole bunch of pocketknives, a few sheath knives. But for edc, I carry one of my 4 Leatherman tools. Lately, I carry the Wingman, in my pocket, with the pocketclip. I find that a leatherman has 1,001 uses, more than a pocketknife. During my last job (as a school maint man), I carried either a Wave, or Charge, in the sheath, on my belt. So, yes, I always carry some sort of blade, would feel naked without one.
    ARIZONA CELT

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Michael Weatherhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to you all

You gave me some food for thought. I've decided that I prob won't carry a Sgian. But I do like the "sgian shoe" idea. I'll just carry my leatherman wingman, in my sporran. Thanks for all the good advice.
    ARIZONA CELT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast