X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50
  1. #21
    Join Date
    26th September 05
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted without opinion, but there is some interesting information here, that if it is actually true would explain the lack of period images of women in tartan:

    "According to Terry Griest (Scottish Tartans and Family Names), tartan and the wearing of plaids was out of fashion in large cities of Scotland during the early 1600's, especially for women. By 1631 Edinburgh and other cities passed increasingly stringent laws against women wearing plaids. Edinburgh's law made it punishable by a fine of 5 pounds (Scots) and the loss of the garment. By 1633 a new act required corporal punishment for any offending women wearing plaids over their heads."



    http://clanntartan.sitesneakpeek.com...%20plaids.html

  2. #22
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,624
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Posted without opinion, but there is some interesting information here, that if it is actually true would explain the lack of period images of women in tartan:

    "According to Terry Griest (Scottish Tartans and Family Names), tartan and the wearing of plaids was out of fashion in large cities of Scotland during the early 1600's, especially for women. By 1631 Edinburgh and other cities passed increasingly stringent laws against women wearing plaids. Edinburgh's law made it punishable by a fine of 5 pounds (Scots) and the loss of the garment. By 1633 a new act required corporal punishment for any offending women wearing plaids over their heads."

    http://clanntartan.sitesneakpeek.com...%20plaids.html
    An interesting series of articles although it should be borne in mind that they are in essence a selection of writing by others, some historical, others by authors who themselves wrote based on their understanding at the time.

    In the case quoted I think it less that it explains why there are so few period images of women, there were several of gentlewomen, but reflects the view in the Lowlands of a particular type of women, poor, sometimes destitute, and not what a religiously strict society wanted to see in their community. The fact that some (many?) of these were Highland women probably didn't endear them to many.
    Last edited by figheadair; 26th May 16 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Typo

  3. #23
    Join Date
    26th September 05
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will defer to others on this topic, as I have been much more focused on the military material culture of the period than anything else!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    28th February 15
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, I'm so happy to see you taking on this subject. If there is anyone who will research and write on a subject with objectivity, I believe it's you.

    As you know from our previous conversations in which you were a great help to me, I have been attempting a portrayal of 1740s Highland woman of middle class. As has been mentioned here, it has been very difficult to find proper sources to pull information from.

    I look forward to the results of your work.

  5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AlabamaCelticLass For This Useful Post:


  6. #25
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,624
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your positive comments on this idea. I'm in the 'understand' phase of what is out there into which I will need to weave in my own thoughts and experience. To do this justice I can see this paper being several pages worth of original quotes, discussion, images etc.

  7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  8. #26
    Join Date
    5th April 13
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very interested in the results of this as well.

    On a quite different timeline I am making a wardrobe to portray a woman of Scottish heritage in Colonial/Revolutionary times. Not much info available for that so I'm largely using my imagination...

  9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:


  10. #27
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a double volume book on European costume, which simply writes off all Scottish garments as barbaric where it doesn't copy the English fashion.
    With that sort of attitude even finding any serious study is made difficult.

    Anne the Pleater.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

  11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:


  12. #28
    Join Date
    28th February 15
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I am very interested in the results of this as well.

    On a quite different timeline I am making a wardrobe to portray a woman of Scottish heritage in Colonial/Revolutionary times. Not much info available for that so I'm largely using my imagination...

    I've thought of doing that too, since I love the American Revolution and plan for that to be my next historican wardrobe.... just 30 years and an ocean away from my Highland woman impression!

    I've not performed exhaustive research by any means, but have not seen period paintings of the 1770s-1780s containing women with tartan in their dress. I'm wondering if there were women of Scottish heritage, as you mentioned, who might have worn tartan in the form of a petticoat, jacket or cloak? I know that checked linen was popular, especially for aprons, but that's entirely different.

  13. #29
    Join Date
    28th February 15
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I have a double volume book on European costume, which simply writes off all Scottish garments as barbaric where it doesn't copy the English fashion.
    With that sort of attitude even finding any serious study is made difficult.

    Anne the Pleater.
    I am very into collecting antique books, on a variety of subjects of interest... if you don't mind me asking, which books are those? Were they published in England, or America... and what year? (Thank you!)

  14. #30
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaCelticLass View Post
    I am very into collecting antique books, on a variety of subjects of interest... if you don't mind me asking, which books are those? Were they published in England, or America... and what year? (Thank you!)
    It is 'The Book of Costume' by Millia Davenport, Crown Publishers, New York Copyright 1948, I have the second printing printed in the United States of America. It does start with the ancient orient, Egypt, Persians - so it is not exclusively European, but mainly so.

    Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0