X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DougH : Your best bet would be to use your g.great uncle's name, and look up his service records. Some of that you can do on line. That will tell you his regiment, which should answer questions about the kit depicted in the photo. Let us know what you find ! Cheers,
    "Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    @DougH : Your best bet would be to use your g.great uncle's name, and look up his service records. Some of that you can do on line. That will tell you his regiment, which should answer questions about the kit depicted in the photo. Let us know what you find ! Cheers,
    Thank you for your advice, I do agree that would be easiest. But as noted in the original post, I have not been able to track down paper records of his service yet. The only evidence of his service that I currently have is this picture, and his son's recollection that his father served in the war. This attempt to determine his regiment by identifying his tartan was supposed to be an assist in finding his records. Most of the family served in the navy, so I don't even have family traditions to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BobsYourUncle For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12