X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I join the Kilt Kops?

No photos so you'll have to rely on a description. A friend's funeral was last Saturday. He was a long time feature in our community of LBC's ( little British cars). By prior arrangement, another friend and I kilted up in his honor. I though I did reasonably well after paying attention here. In my opinion, my friend wore his kilt too low- below the knee. He also wore a Saxon-length coat that covered about 1/2 the kilt, tie and a sweater vest. The sweater vest is not part of the issue but I wanted to give readers a more complete picture.
    My dilemma comes from the background. He's a native of Glasgow who's lived in the U.S. for 40+ years.He returns there every few years to get his accent recharged and is almost incomprehensible for a couple of weeks afterwards.
    He described buying his kilt in a shop on the Royal Mile complete with the little old man kiltmaker with the tape draped around his neck. It leads me to believe that he was measured correctly. He wore it below the knee, so I think he wore it too low. The Saxon coat? I'd just assume that he didn't own a kilt jacket. His kilt pin was pinned through both aprons. I asked him about it. He said he'd always done it that way with no ill effects.
    I just don't know if I should point him over here and/or offer some of the knowledge I've picked up here. I'm tempted to talk to his significant other, suggest some ways to step up his kilt game and let her suggest some changes to him. There are some good bargains in used kilt jackets around and Christmas is near.
    Do I join the kilt cops or bite my tongue?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tricky. As I have tried to point out here more than a few times that some of those from Glasgow plough their own furrow when wearing the kilt. The result is that kilt attire is not necessarily worn in the way a Highlander may choose to wear it.

I think on a website such as this, one can strongly suggest attire combinations to improve the general look of kilt attire, particularly if advice is asked for. However in a real life situation if one understands different local kilt wearing thinking, it is best to let sleeping dogs, well, sleep.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th December 21 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Added an important word
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest he join or view this forum...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see non-traditional things all the time, and keep my mouth shut unless asked.

"Kilt Kops" implies enforcing written laws whenever a violation is spotted. Thank goodness nothing like that exists.

About the "unless asked" part, even when people ask for advice when it's given they might bristle about "rules" and "freedom" and such.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

About the "unless asked" part, even when people ask for advice when it's given they might bristle about "rules" and "freedom" and such.
    Yes I have seen this happen and have encountered it myself on this website. I take the view that if they ask then they want to know and I do not hesitate to give them the information as best as I can. If they dont like my reply then, tough. I am sorry but, they asked and I replied and they are quite free to politely ignore what I say.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th December 21 at 07:49 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading posts here I get the impression that wearing a kilt is a free form of dress and that there is no fixed way it should be worn beyond at the natural waist and the hem at the top of knees. Having seen people wearing desert boots with scrunched down socks and a variety of tops I wonder exactly what is “correct” and what is just a way to wear what is just a garment.
    I know that some like to dress up in a particular way with quasi-historical outfits and others with overtly casual styles but wonder if any are really “ correct” and the only ones allowed. One member seems to have the monopoly on what is acceptable although, unless one wishes to be an authentic Scottish Highlander, perhaps this is no more than an opinion to be accepted or ignored as one wishes.
    The most sensible advice I seem to have seen is that from Steve Ashton who just likes to wear a kilt, with no specific clan affiliation and has no use for fancy dress such as doublets,jabots and the like.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and re-read the original post, my thinking is that if someone does not ask, I do not offer. The fact is that you may well know more about wearing the kilt than he. Having said that, I'm certain that he will not want to hear unsolicited advice. The best thing you can do is be an example of how to wear it properly and hope he notices that you look good and either asks advice or follows your example.

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid, my dad would consistently tell me: "pull up your pants kid, you look stupid." That definitely didn't resonate well with me, though he was correct.

As an adult, if there was something about my manor of dress which made me look foolish, and a friend went out of their way to inform me of my error in confidence, I hope that I would be be more grateful than scornful.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We/I see kilts worn in all sorts of ways here in Scotland, some look fine whilst not necessarily fitting the Highland mould. Some look completely outwith of the traditional mould, as per the Tartan Army and some kilt outfits, look absolutely atrocious and out of place. Some, outfits even fit the Highland mould perfectly and some just try too hard and appear wanting to be be more Scots than the Scots. I think most Scots see these things, perhaps form an opinion if they are interested--------most probably aren't-------- and say nothing. Why make life difficult for oneself?

On the other hand, out in the wild so to speak, if one is asked --------a very rare event--------- then an opinion may be given but the answer would generally be fairly broad brush and short. I think on this website we can get mired in the minute details that from a day to day point of view really matter little. On the other hand, these matters can from a theoretical point of view grow into unnecessarily detailed proportions. I do recognise though that discussions about details are the lifeblood of a website such as this, but I have found in real life details about attire(unless one is discussing uniforms) is not really that important and is certainly not worth falling out over with a friend. However, one can possibly influence things by dressing by example.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th December 21 at 01:09 PM. Reason: can't spell

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn’t agree more and what a good synopsis of kilt- wearing. I don't know about Glaswegians but am happy to defer to Jock there but it seems that they have their own attitudes. I do know that Glasgow was a destination for many highlanders so perhaps their opinion is valuable but maybe kilts were not so important to those dispossessed and seeking a living in Glasgow in those times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast