X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highland games--where to start?

Part of the entire fascination with kilts is the highland games. It looks like a blast to try some of the athletic contests. How do you go about learning the technique for the caber toss, or the hammer throw? I can't exactly practice these events in the back yard. I don't know where to get a 56 lb weight or caber, or even a pitchfork and sheath, for that matter.

I know that some of the highland games have a novice division for learning the "ropes" but these are few and far between.

I would enjoy just "having a go" at it but not in formal competition in highland games without some practice first. I feel that I need to start with equipment and training before entering competition (to avoid injuring my self, my pride, or onlookers).

Anybody have suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

First, general strength training will be an asset, as will any track and field experience you have. Many Track and Field events are derived from their older, Highland equivalents.

For equipment you can find them online at places such as Mjolnir Hammers. As you can see, while good quality they can be quite expensive, not to mention shipping.

An easier and cheaper alternative is to make your own. I've made practice weights from common tow chain and other materials. Use the length of chain for the weight, then get the proper handle for the implement.

For example, on the hammer I used 22 lbs of chain, threaded with a smaller gage chain connected with a removable loop. This made a nice tight bundle of chain to act as my weight. I attached it to a 3/4" PVC shaft, with a collar made from 1" EMT conduit. The collar is just there to add strength at the attachment point. I drilled a hole through the EMT and PVC, threaded an eyebolt through, fixed it in place with a wingnut, and attached the chain weight. Works PERFECTLY, and it feels just like the real hammer when throwing.
    As a bonus, the chain has 'give' so it doesnt make divots in the park and can even be used on pavement.

Same sort of deal with the Weight for Distance and Weight for Height. Use the correct amount of chain for the weight, and connect it to a D handle. Again, it works very well and I have been able to use that to help with my techniques.

I'll get off my butt and make a pictoral essay on 'how to' make the chain weights this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaish View Post
    Yes.

First, general strength training will be an asset, as will any track and field experience you have. Many Track and Field events are derived from their older, Highland equivalents.

For equipment you can find them online at places such as Mjolnir Hammers. As you can see, while good quality they can be quite expensive, not to mention shipping.

An easier and cheaper alternative is to make your own. I've made practice weights from common tow chain and other materials. Use the length of chain for the weight, then get the proper handle for the implement.

For example, on the hammer I used 22 lbs of chain, threaded with a smaller gage chain connected with a removable loop. This made a nice tight bundle of chain to act as my weight. I attached it to a 3/4" PVC shaft, with a collar made from 1" EMT conduit. The collar is just there to add strength at the attachment point. I drilled a hole through the EMT and PVC, threaded an eyebolt through, fixed it in place with a wingnut, and attached the chain weight. Works PERFECTLY, and it feels just like the real hammer when throwing.
    As a bonus, the chain has 'give' so it doesnt make divots in the park and can even be used on pavement.

Same sort of deal with the Weight for Distance and Weight for Height. Use the correct amount of chain for the weight, and connect it to a D handle. Again, it works very well and I have been able to use that to help with my techniques.

I'll get off my butt and make a pictoral essay on 'how to' make the chain weights this weekend.
    I was looking into using lead and coffee cans but this is an excellent idea! I look forward to the tutorial.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world...
    Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big thing is that there is no standardization.

While in the olympics, the shot is a shot is a shot, and the javelin is..... well you get the idea.

With highland games, they just cut down the first abandoned telephone pole and they are set. Find a huge rock, likewise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, somewhat. The hammers and weights are pretty standard. The rocks and cabers are catch as you can. It can make it hard to compare scores across events, but within the same event all the competitors have equal footing.

Beware of using lead. It can be worked safely, but unsafe exposure levels are always a possibility. Heating it to melt it can be severely dangerous, and even using solid pieces can be hazardous as it creates dust that can be inhaled or ingested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my practice weights with used weight plates from Play it Again Sports. Stacked them on a piece of iron pipe and ran a large eye bolt through the center with a lock nut and washers to hold it all nice and tight. I got some U-bolts and some locking caribiner type connectors to attach my handle with and so I can adjust the length for WOB or for distance. I had a friend weld up some handles. This has held up rather well.

I do use a chain for my hammer practice, like Yaish. I had an old fork in the barn and it works well. I'm not very good, but the fork is great :-)
    Sapienter si sincereClan Davidson (USA)
    Bydand Do well and let them say...GORDON!My Blog
    "I'll have a scotch on the rocks. Any scotch will do as long as it's not a blend of course. Single malt Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps maybe a Glen... any Glen." -Swingers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I posted some stuff on the Southeast site, but I have not seen a response yet. I would like to work out a few times with some folks so I can learn the proper technique before I start doing it on my own. I was asking on there if any one lived and practiced in North GA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BAM,
    Did you try posting on NASGA's site as well? There doesn't seem to be much activity on the Southeast site. I'm assuming you are referring to ssaaa and the Rebel Yell board.
    Sapienter si sincereClan Davidson (USA)
    Bydand Do well and let them say...GORDON!My Blog
    "I'll have a scotch on the rocks. Any scotch will do as long as it's not a blend of course. Single malt Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps maybe a Glen... any Glen." -Swingers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this will get me started. I have found an isolated field to use for practice and will do as best I can to make weight from tow chain. I'll keep looking for someone locally to get some pointers on technique.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I have a camera person lined up so this Sunday, I will be making my videos.

The first couple will be a quick and dirty on fashioning the chain into weights, then fixing them to various handles.
    The next several will be tips and pointers on technique, how-to, and examples of the different events. Stone, WFD, WOB, Hammer, and Caber should all be included.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast