X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    6th May 10
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    finally got to sing

    last week I sang in the online service at pilgrim congregational church. Besides hymns I sang In Abendrot by Franz Schubert and Going Home by Dvorak I went with my anderson. It was too hot for hose.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6566a800.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	39176

  2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    17th August 20
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is actually an action pic of one of the local bands, i am photog, so i have several,

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/895724...in/dateposted/

    the second is a funeral player, I have met on several occasions,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/895724...in/dateposted/

    and me in the sheep punt, in a great I made in my child hood, and i have since out grown,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/895724...n/photostream/
    When we judge fish by their ability to climb trees,
    We find the world full of below average fish.

  4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to c0urt For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    11th August 20
    Location
    Oakville ON Canada
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am a singer ... a Presbyterian one by upbringing but I sing with any and all denominations. I'd happily cant in a synagogue if they'd have me.

    Before this virus hit, I was in a pretty easy going C of E choir (led by a Mennonite!) as well as a serious and large group that performs mostly Baroque sacred music.

    We managed to convince about 40% of our choristers to put together a video of part of a piece that we were rehearsing before it became illegal to sing together indoors (Bach's Mass in B Minor). Anyway, I'm one of the Basses with the "snow on the roof".

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSeXsMW_1B4
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    6th May 10
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
    this is actually an action pic of one of the local bands, i am photog, so i have several,

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/895724...in/dateposted/

    the second is a funeral player, I have met on several occasions,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/895724...in/dateposted/

    and me in the sheep punt, in a great I made in my child hood, and i have since out grown,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/895724...n/photostream/
    Nice pictures

  7. #5
    Join Date
    6th May 10
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    I too am a singer ... a Presbyterian one by upbringing but I sing with any and all denominations. I'd happily cant in a synagogue if they'd have me.

    Before this virus hit, I was in a pretty easy going C of E choir (led by a Mennonite!) as well as a serious and large group that performs mostly Baroque sacred music.

    We managed to convince about 40% of our choristers to put together a video of part of a piece that we were rehearsing before it became illegal to sing together indoors (Bach's Mass in B Minor). Anyway, I'm one of the Basses with the "snow on the roof".

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSeXsMW_1B4
    Very nice. I was preparing a role I've always loved from La Fanciulla del West but never been hired for and two weeks before opening it went the way of the virus.
    I was hoping they'd have a recording at the church as they do this as a online service. They are normally pretty good recordings but their mikes and cameras died so it was all through a laptop computer. The sound went from good to atrocious. My mom was looking forward to getting to hear me but ce la vie.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    8,665
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    last week I sang in the online service at pilgrim congregational church. Besides hymns I sang In Abendrot by Franz Schubert and Going Home by Dvorak
    Good for you! You sing bass, I assume?

    Hymns are big for me, I've piped at church services for over 40 years now.

    A while back I launched Bagpipe Hymn A Day on Youtube and Facebook where each day I present a traditional Hymn-tune arranged by myself for pipes. I have a pile of Hymnals from a number of denominations that I work from, but I don't have a Congregational one.

    Hymnary.org has this one, is this good for me to refer to?

    https://hymnary.org/hymnal/HPP2007

    Thanks!

    PS I looked through the tunes list for that Hymnal, they have four hymns for OLD 100th and three each for DIX, KINGSFOLD, and LLANFAIR. (Those Welsh LL's will get you.)

    Here's my video of my pipe arrangement of KINGSFOLD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPAo1gzQWpA&t=22s
    Last edited by OC Richard; 6th September 20 at 02:37 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  9. #7
    Join Date
    20th June 11
    Location
    California
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the singing!

    I noticed the Vibram Five Fingers. I too wear foot shape footwear, and wanted to point out Lems to you if you haven't heard of them. I have a pair of Boulder Boots that look pretty good with my kilt when worn casually, and I'm looking into ta pair of Nine2Fives for dressier occasions. I think the Nine2Fives would look great with that outfit!

  10. #8
    Join Date
    6th May 10
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    very nice

    Very nice rendition. Pilgrim congregational uses the methodist hymnal and I'm not sure if it applies to others. I grew up mormon and although I have sung for other churches I wouldn't consider myself an expert on hymns. Most of my career was in opera and I didn't do regular church gigs because of the sunday conflicts.
    I am a bass although for years teachers defined me as tenor because I had an easy top. I finally studied with the great bass/baritone Giorgio Tozzi who sang easily to high c but after he demonstrated it one day for a tenor (who couldn't sing easily above staff) tozzi said yea I can visit I just can't live here. I had always felt that as a night in a tenor role was hell by the end but bass and Baritone I could sing all day and feel fresh.
    The mormon hymnal has several hymns based on folk pieces, Praise to the Man (Scotland the brave) and If I Could Hie to Kolob ( the Star of the County Down) just off the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Good for you! You sing bass, I assume?

    Hymns are big for me, I've piped at church services for over 40 years now.

    A while back I launched Bagpipe Hymn A Day on Youtube and Facebook where each day I present a traditional Hymn-tune arranged by myself for pipes. I have a pile of Hymnals from a number of denominations that I work from, but I don't have a Congregational one.

    Hymnary.org has this one, is this good for me to refer to?

    https://hymnary.org/hymnal/HPP2007

    Thanks!

    PS I looked through the tunes list for that Hymnal, they have four hymns for OLD 100th and three each for DIX, KINGSFOLD, and LLANFAIR. (Those Welsh LL's will get you.)

    Here's my video of my pipe arrangement of KINGSFOLD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPAo1gzQWpA&t=22s

  11. #9
    Join Date
    6th May 10
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I hadn't heard of them

    I'll give them a look as I wear them alot but when I am on stage (or actually now when I was on stage) I had to wear
    regular shoes and find them very uncomfortable.
    I have hiked in all types of terrain with them but a boulder boot might be useful.
    Years ago I was hiking Cascade creek pond trail in yellowstone and hiked into a group of 5 men and 4 women who had been fishing there and we talked for a few minutes. I had stopped them to show them a huge fresh grizzly bear print I had just found. One of the women was looking at me and then exclaimed "oh look at his shoes. They are adorable." Her boy friend said "So like a women. He's wearing a kilt and she notices his shoes"
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Congrats on the singing!

    I noticed the Vibram Five Fingers. I too wear foot shape footwear, and wanted to point out Lems to you if you haven't heard of them. I have a pair of Boulder Boots that look pretty good with my kilt when worn casually, and I'm looking into ta pair of Nine2Fives for dressier occasions. I think the Nine2Fives would look great with that outfit!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    20th June 11
    Location
    California
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    I'll give them a look as I wear them alot but when I am on stage (or actually now when I was on stage) I had to wear regular shoes and find them very uncomfortable.
    I have hiked in all types of terrain with them but a boulder boot might be useful.
    Years ago I was hiking Cascade creek pond trail in yellowstone and hiked into a group of 5 men and 4 women who had been fishing there and we talked for a few minutes. I had stopped them to show them a huge fresh grizzly bear print I had just found. One of the women was looking at me and then exclaimed "oh look at his shoes. They are adorable." Her boy friend said "So like a women. He's wearing a kilt and she notices his shoes"
    I measure a 5E width, and went years without realizing it. The first time I tried on a pair of foot-shape running shoes I felt so much relief! Now anytime someone's wearing Vibrams, Altras, Lems, or another foot-shape shoe I have to comment, it's like a little club (similar to Kilt wearers).

    The Boulder Boot is great. Highly recommended, especially if you've got rainy winters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0